We got a little more rain this morning.
About a quarter of an inch.
We ended with just over 3 inches
yesterday by the time we headed
off to bed.
But it's still pretty muddy out there.
Kyle was BORED after sitting
at his house with nothing to do
for 2 days.
He's not good at just sitting around.
So he and Bear walked down here.
And then he washed a bunch of
the red potatoes we harvested
a couple of months ago.
Then sliced them up and headed
into the kitchen to blanch them.
But first they had to soak for
about half an hour to get some
of the starch out of them.
So while they were soaking,
we peeled, sliced, and seasoned a
bunch more cucumbers and got them
onto trays for the freeze dryer.
Ran down to the garden and picked another
milk crate full of cucumbers.
Jim will take them with him to the market
and see if he can sell them.
I'm out of seasoning, or I would put them
on trays for the freeze dryer too.
The onions FINALLY got done!
(They were pretty juicy...)
so I got them out of the freeze dryer
and into 2 big mylar bags and 3
quart jars for daily use.
I covered each of the trays with some cheap
white bread to help absorb some of the odor.
It worked really well!
I couldn't smell them at all while they were
in the machine and when I took them out
there was just the faintest onion smell.
And then I ran all the dried bread through
the food processor and made them into
really fine crumb to add to meatloaf.
They smelled delicious!
I got 2 quarts and most of 1 pint of crumbs.
That should last for awhile...
The potatoes are all sliced, blanched,
cooled and now they are on a bath towel
on the counter drying a bit before we
bag them up and put them in the freezer.
I can hear Kyle in the prep room going through the
big bucket of potatoes and sorting them.
We have a few more reds,
a couple purples (he took most of them up
to his house a few weeks ago) and lots of
yukon golds.
We got one basket of yellows.
A small tote of reds, and another small tote
of purples hiding in the background.
They are tiny, but they had a gazillion of them
on each plant and Kyle says they are tasty!
We ended up with 4 quart bags of sliced reds
to put in the freezer for this winter!
They will be delicious in the air fryer!
Meanwhile...
The road should be dry enough by tomorrow for
Rod to run into Hill City and pick up his paycheck
and a can of satin finish varnish.
Then he can finish working on the island.
I'm teaching this weekend,
and he's working at the hardware store
on Saturday from 10-6 and then needs to
run into Hays for a new member baptism
at 7:30. I need to send some cookies or
something, but I used all my chocolate chips,
so I might just have him buy a bag at the
grocery store.
He won't have enough time to go to
WalMart to get any before the baptism.
Or maybe I'll have him pick up a box of
brownie mix tomorrow and I'll bake up a
batch of brownies to take.
We'll see....
You don't need to frost brownies, right?






1 comment:
No need to frost brownies! Just chocolatey goodness! Y'all been busy!!! ❤️S
Post a Comment