Monday, July 20, 2026

Kent Stoddard 08-31-1931 - 07-18-2026

 This is a hard one to write.

This will forever be my favorite picture
of my Mom and Dad.

And this is how I choose to remember him.

We lost our Dad on Saturday.
He fought a long, hard battle with Alzheimer's.
That is an ugly disease.
But he maintained his cheerful, kind
countenance throughout.

He played his beloved harmonica til the end
when he could hardly draw a breath.
But was able to play and end with his
patented flourish.


He had the deepest love for 
"My Joyce".


They were always together.
They were always holding hands.
They were always in love.


He blessed our family.
Lead with humility.
Taught us the skills we needed to
live life.
From changing a tire to serving others.
He worked hard, provided well.
But more importantly, made memories.


How many weekends did he come straight
home from work, to jump in the car and take
us to tent then trailer in so many different campgrounds.


We fed squirrels,
climbed mountains and waterfalls,
identified rocks and berries,
"felt the pain (pane)"
fished (not very successfully...)
skied, water and snow...
made bear track casts,
identified stars around a campfire,
and created a family foundation that will
last through the eternities.


He served as Bishop, High Counselor,
Stake Presidency Counselor,
Home Teacher,
Missionary.
And all he served, loved him deeply.
Because he loved THEM deeply.

And now, we know he has gone on
to continue the work on the other
side of the veil.

Oh, how I would have loved to be
there to witness the joyous reunion
as he arrived.
All those who I know were there to greet him.

Most of all.
I know there was the well deserved

"Well done, my GOOD and FAITHFUL servant."

We will miss you Dad.
I love you.
I am so proud of the life you lived.
I will strive to make you proud.

1 comment:

rktucson said...

Wow... well said! Can I use this in my eulogy talk?