Monday, August 24, 2026

Super Fun Saturday!

 We had a really busy,
really fun Saturday!

We started at the farmers market.
It was a good day.
Pretty windy!
But we didn't put the tablecloth
on the table, so no worries.
Freeze dried stuff is pretty light,
so I kept a hand on the trays,
but nothing blew away and we
sold out of peaches!
And eggs, and almost sold
all the FD cantaloupe.
Sold a bunch of pickling cukes
and even a couple Honey Baby
butternut squash.

Then we drove back to the house,
put everything away and jumped
back into the car to run into Hays.
We had an RS activity at 2:00.
(I need to train myself to remember
"running into Hays" is now an HOUR!)
So we just rushed into town.
Needed to be there a little early
since I'm the counselor over activities 
and I wanted to be there to help set up.

We did "Bunco & Brownies".
I've never played Bunco before,
but it was easy to learn and lots of fun.
I won the "Biggest Loser" prize since
my revolving team ALWAYS lost.
We might have a great score, but the
other team beat us by a point or two.
It was still fun.

We only had 9 sisters, we play with
4 people to a table, so I left 30 minute
early and let the committee chair play
in my spot for the last round.
She brought me the prize on Sunday.
And I continued the theme and lost it.
(Left it in the RS room and somebody
picked it up.... darn it. It was a really
cute tea towel!)
Anyhow.

Left the activity and ran to WalMart to
grab some stuff we needed.
Oh yeah, Rod came with me and while
I was at the activity, he went to Home
Depot to return the window ac unit we
bought but didn't need.
They wouldn't take it back.
It says on the receipt (who reads those)
you have to return within 7 days.
It had been 9.
Sigh.

So, anyway, Walmart to get stuff.
And then dashed back to the house
by way of Jim's to get our stadium seats,
just in time to grab Kyle and run into
Hill City for the first annual
Bucking Bull rodeo thing.
It had a name, I can't remember.... lol.


Really nice arena.


WAAAY nicer than WaKeeney's.
And we had good seats!


It was all local cowboys.
Well, north Kansas and south Nebraska.
But "local".
It was a real rodeo.
So the "clowns" were there to protect
the riders, not entertain the people.
So we watched one of the pick up guys
training his new horse.
THAT was entertaining.

We had a really good time and were home
just after dark!

To bed, and then up early (by our standards)
in order to leave by 6:30.
I whipped up some quick breakfast burritos
to eat on the drive into Hays.

It was a good day of excellent meetings.
I'm really starting to feel at home in this ward.

And then on the way home we stopped
by Jim and Sabrina's to drop off a
battery charger - his truck battery died.

And then home to take a NAP!
Kyle came over and we had some
beef stroganoff with beans the way
Soni told me Rozann made them.
They were DELICIOUS!

And today......
up early to do a T-Tapp workout,
then I cut 1.5 gallons of okra and
got those in the freezer.
Then I started washing and coring
the tomatoes to put in the freezer.
Then Kyle came by and he and I took
the dogs for a short walk around the
property. Beau can only go so far.
He's getting older, and its been awhile
since he's gone on a walk.
He fell down Kyle's stairs last Thanksgiving,
and since then he hasn't really been out.
But he'll build up his stamina...
(me too... lol.)

Then he and Bear went home and
Rod and I worked on getting 8 boxes
of ice cream sandwiches all cut and
onto trays and into the freeze dryer.

Then Kyle came back over and we
made a single 1/2 pint of tomato sauce
to see if we LIKE the recipe before I
commit to doing ALL the tomatoes.
And while that was cooking down,
we cut up nearly all the rest of the peaches
and got those on trays to go into the machine
after we take out the load that's in there.

Which would be PEEPS!
The new machine has the candy setting,
and we bought a bunch of boxes of all
sorts of flavors of peeps on clearance after
Easter. Just been waiting to use the
new machine.
Got those in and figured out how to
do a candy run.

By then, the tomato sauce was ready
to come out of the water bath canner.
(I did a couple pint jars of water just
so my little jar wasn't lonely...)

Then Kyle left to get ready to go to 
FHE and then Door Dash.
And I got ready to teach.
So Rod had to pull the peeps out of 
the machine and get them in big
mylar bags for me to do something with
tomorrow.
And then he got out our zero turn mower
and mowed a bunch of the property between
the house and the road.
It looks really good!

Now, I'm done teaching,
and I'm whooooped!
I was going to make cabbage and 
sausage for dinner,
but I'm rethinking.
Might just make a box of mac & cheese
and open a jar of pickled beets.

There's a TON on tap for tomorrow.
I need to finish the peaches.
(Probably just make another 5 pints
of peach jam with them, they are
getting a little long in the tooth.)
And then I need to chop all the peppers
and get those into the freezer.
And I also need to do something with
the gazillion cucumbers Kyle keeps 
harvesting and bringing in my house.

AND there is still that huge wagon
full of onions in his shed.

I love harvest season...
but boy oh boy it's BUSY!

No comments: