Thursday, October 3, 2024

Productive Morning

 It has been a busy and productive morning!
Started with my Thursday morning chat with Soni.
And then I got up and made breakfast.
(Eggs, bacon & okra... yum!)

Then we all adjourned to Rod's computer
in our bedroom and looked at house plans
and narrowed it down to two online
and one Kyle drew up.

Printed those and the guys headed out to the
farm with some sticks and surveyor's tape
to mark it out on the property.

Meanwhile,
I pulled the ice cream, ice cream sandwiches,
and bananas out of the freeze dryer to process.
Set the hair dryer in the FD to start the defrosting...

OOPS!
Should have used parchment paper under the
bananas! It's been awhile since I've done any
of those and they stick really badly.
But I got them all into bags.

We got 12 bags of bananas,
14 bags of ice cream sandwiches,
12 bags of unicorn ice cream,
and then I did another 12 bags of
peaches from some I dried in 2022.
They were a big hit last week at
the market, so I bagged some up and I'll 
bring another big bag in case we sell out.

Then I washed those trays and pulled
the jars of tomato puree out of the fridge.

I was watching one of my YouTube people
the other day and she was doing tomatoes.
(Canning, not freeze drying) 
and she ran her's through a collander to get
some of the seeds out.

DUH!


Look at all that beautiful pulp (and SEEDS)


I dumped it into my fine mesh strainer and
used a soup ladle to scrape it back and forth
and work all the juice and pulp into the bottom
bowl and hold back the seeds and skin.


After 4 minutes (I timed it) of work,
this is what was left.


I ended up with 4 trays of beautiful, smooth, delicious
tomato puree with ZERO seeds.
Less than 20 minutes of work probably saved
9 or more hours of freeze drying time.
(Those seeds really hang on to the moisture...)
And it will yield a MUCH nicer product.
Also a fray of diced no-heat jalapenos we
froze the other day.

Got that all done and the kitchen cleaned up
in just over 45 minutes.
Meanwhile the freeze dryer was all defroster,
so I opened it back up to let it come to
room temperature. (The hair dryer gets it
pretty HOT in there, but defrosts it in about
30 minutes instead of about 3 hours...)

Once it was room temp, I turned it back on
to start really cooling the chamber.
Took it from 96 to 36 in about 30 more
minutes.
And then I got 3 more trays of apples and
2 trays of grated zucchini out of the freezer
and put those in the FD to get dried.

Back into the house to do a quick blog post
and eat some leftovers from dinner.
And then I'm heading out to the farm to
check on the guys.

Whew!
I'm pleased with today's progress!

No comments: