Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Lost/Found Eggs and a Clarification

I have two Easter Eggers who "escape"
every day.

Casper (a white Easter Egger)
and Goldie (a pale yellow EE)
(VERY few of my chickens have names...)
When you have 100+ 
that would just be silly!

Anyhow...

Goldie used to lay a green egg nearly
every day in Buddy's (the horse) feed bucket.
So I put some hay in a bucket next to it
and she moved over there.

Casper used to lay HER green egg
in the hay room in a hole she would dig
in a bale.

But then she started laying in the bucket 
with Goldie.  And so Goldie QUIT.

I wasn't finding any of Goldie's eggs.
And believe me, I LOOKED.

Well, when we finally got the lawnmower
started and moved from it's spot in the barn...
look what we found!


I was pretty sure that's where she was laying,
but couldn't get to it since the mower 
(and a bunch of other stuff)
was in the way.

Imagine a big riding lawnmower parked right here...

You know how barns can get...

Anyhow...
Not knowing how long they had been there
I did the ol' "bucket 'o water" trick.


Yah.
These have been here a while.
And over the fence they go!

Eggs
A Poem

Eggs on the counter? You need to take stock.
Fresh, placed in water, will sink like a rock.

But, if it floats to the top, like a log
Then, I'm afraid, it gets fed to the dog.
~ Collette

(Or tossed over the fence for the raccoons...)

Meanwhile--- a clarification.
Yesterday I mentioned I like mowing the front yard.
I want to be perfectly clear.
I did NOT mow the front yard.
But I could.
If I wanted to.
I just don't.


2 comments:

rktucson said...

Collette you totally crack me up! I LOVE LOVE LOVE to read your blog posts. They are so often HILLARIOUS! You have such a great sense of humor! and writing poise! (or whatever it's called!) Such a talent! Love you sis!!!

Katie said...

This totally reminded me of my grandmother. Now and then she'd find a hidden nest and let us throw the eggs out into the field as far as we could. I remember a clutch of fifteen eggs one time! Thanks for the memory. :-)