Monday, November 7, 2011

Priorities

This was an "interesting" weekend.

Saturday morning I was off, so did MORE Instructional in my hotel.  It was a KILLER!
Then after teaching all afternoon, I went to Longhorn Steakhouse for a delish steak, baked sweet potato and a green salad.  YUM.  Back to the hotel, fell asleep planning to take full advantage of the time change, get up at my usual time (6:30 - which would then be 5:30) and do another round of MORE Instructional. 


However, at 11:40, the fire alarm went off. 

 

 I was in that "dead to the world" state so I honestly didn't know what was happening.  I woke up, thought, great, the fire alarm.  Got out of bed - luckily I had folded all my clothes neatly and put them on the other side of the bed - I was NOT going out in my undies!!!!!  As I was trying to dress, I thought "maybe this is that tinitis thing people talk about - maybe this is just MY ears!"  There were no lights blinking, nothing to indicate it was an alarm, just this high pitched squealing that felt like it was originating in my skull!  I honestly thought it was ME!  I was in a total panic wondering how I would survive and be able to teach with this mind-numbing shreak going on in my head!

Then I walked into the living room and noticed it was a little quieter... so decided it was the fire alarm.  (And the closer I got to the door, I realized I could hear the claxon going off in the hall...)

Went back into the bedroom and grabbed my laptop and chords and stuffed it all back into it's case.  I decided if the hotel burned down, I could get new clothes, but I was NOT going to replace my laptop (and all my pictures on there...)  Oh yah, and I took the time to pick out and put on a different sweater, cuz if the hotel burned down, I would still have to teach on Sunday and didn't want to wear the same thing two days in a row.  See?  I really was NOT thinking straight! 

Grabbed the laptop case, my purse, my room key and my leather jacket, cuz earlier it was raining and CHILLY, and headed to the door.

Then I remembered.  I brought my CD case with all my T-Tapp dvds in it!  NO WAY I WAS LETTING THOSE BURN!  So back into my room to rescue those! 

Finally I left the room, hit the stairs next to my room - down and out.

Now - here's the kicker.

I'm was a firefighter.  I know better.  I know you GET OUT immediately!  It's not the fire that kills you, it's the smoke!  And the invisible gases from the carpet, upholstery, etc...  But I was 1) half asleep and the shrill alarm honestly made it imposssible to think and 2) protecting my MOST IMPORTANT stuff.  My life, my laptop and my T-Tapp!  LOL 

When I got to the parking lot, I called Rod (in Flagstaff - having a snowball fight with my Jimbo... first snow of the year) and said "you remember when we were firemen and got called to Holiday Inn Oceanfront all the time and had to rouste people from their rooms and make them go stand in the parking lot while we checked out the hotel?   Yah, now I know how they felt..."  I guess what goes around really does come around, eh?  But now I understand why they all acted like complete idiots.  And I feel badly for wanting to bash them over the head...  (just kidding... about the head bashing, not about the feeling bad...)

Anyhow.  It was a false alarm.  So finally, back up to bed.  At least it wasn't snowing in South Florida!  (And it had stopped raining... it was actually kind of nice out there!)

At 1:30 my "neighbors" woke me up - yelling obscenities and slamming doors.  (I don't stay at Motel 6 for crying out loud!)  And then at 1:40 - the fire alarm went off AGAIN!!!!!  I got up and was half dressed (I already left my computer & dvds in the truck) when it turned off - so back to bed.

Needless to say - there was no workout Sunday morning.  I was GRATEFUL for that extra hour to sleep!

Hope YOUR weekend was GREAT!

No comments: