Friday, August 1, 2014

Flappy Thing

I have been moved at work.
I now sit in a room with two other ladies.
And the employee entrance / exit.
So people come and go.
A lot.

To combat the annoyance factor of that
we have some large room dividers.
It helps.
A little.

We also have a light that stays on
all the time.
Unless it turns off.

It is regulated by a motion sensor.
And normally there is enough going on
that it stays on all the time.


Except on Fridays.
One of the ladies I work with is only here
part of the day and in another office
for the rest of her day.
The other lady works extra hours during
the week so she can leave around 9:30
on Friday mornings.
Which leaves me alone much of the day.

Which I love.

But I sit behind the cloth divider.
And the motion detector can't see me.

So the light turns off.

And it gets dark in here.

Which makes it hard to work.

I tried putting a post-it note on a ruler and
waving it in the air.
It didn't work.
I have to get up, walk out from behind my desk,
and over to the break in the dividers to get the
light to turn back on.
Or wait for someone to walk through.
Which is kind of like waiting for the pot to boil.

Last week I got a great idea!


I borrowed one of these little flappy plant thingies
from another co-worker.
It's solar powered, which is cool, because it sits
right under the light.

It's just enough movement (the leaves flap up and down
and the flower sways from side-to-side)
to keep the motion detector happy.

Except that somebody slammed the door and it fell.
To it's death.

Amazon to the rescue!!!!!

This morning I brought in TWO (one to replace the
broken one, and one to work for ME)
And Rod brought me some industrial velcro
(they use it on the airplanes)
to anchor the silly thing.


It's trying REALLY REALLY hard to charge its little
solar battery - it looks a little like a spazzzz.

Flap, pause, flap, pause, flap flap, pause...

I'm hoping it will get it together before I'm alone in here again.
And it goes dark.

Such is life.

2 comments:

Katie said...

What an awesome problem to have to solve! (And a good solution.)

Rozann said...

hey, I have one of those on my office desk too!