Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Fun Food

We had a "fun food" weekend.

First off, Kyle has ALWAYS wanted
to find some purple potatoes.
I'm not sure where he saw them first,
but they often have them on Chopped (Food Network)
and he just thinks they would be neat.

And then last week they got some in
at the CSA next door.
So he brought home a bag.

And then he cooked them up.
And mashed them with sour cream.


This is what they looked like.
(after he ate a bunch)
They tasted just like "real" potatoes.
Which are not a Trim Healthy Mama approved food.
But I tasted them anyway.
Yup.
Mashed potatoes.
But FUN!!!!!

And then yesterday I took the day off.
So decided to do some food prep.

But first I had to "research".

And this is what I found.


Hard boiled eggs.
In my PRESSURE COOKER!


Thank you Frieda!
These are amazing!!!
(Yes, those are my eggs, yes, they are white,
yes, they are store bought.  If they were going
to explode, I wasn't going to waste MY eggs! lol)

In a nutshell...

I tore a cardboard egg carton in half so I could
fit a dozen eggs inside my pressure cooker.
(first put in the trivet thingie that came with it)
Then added 1 cup of water.

Turned the cooker on low pressure
(mine is electric, so that was the veggie setting)
it automatically set itself for 6 minutes.
But if yours doesn't, that's what you want.

Because my eggs were fridge cold, it took a total
of 20 minutes including the time to bring it up to pressure.
Next time I'll use my eggs, which I keep on the counter,
so it should go faster.

Once the time is up, allow it to sit for 4 minutes
and then do a quick release of any more steam.
Transfer the eggs immediately to an ice bath.


(there ARE eggs in there...)

When you can't stand it anymore,
grab one, roll it around a little on the counter,
and peel.


Then break into the Hallelujah Chorus
because even with fake nails,
these things peeled like magic!
And the whites were hard, but soft...
and the whole thing was DELICIOUS!

Deviled eggs... here we come!

(I put them in the fridge, unpeeled, brought one for 
breakfast this morning at the office and it STILL
peeled perfectly!) 

I also baked some yummy zucchini/blueberry
gluten free, sugar free bread.
It was really yummy!
And I forgot to take a picture.
Oops!

No comments: