Sunday, April 24, 2016

Canadians Speak Weird!

Have you ever noticed how weird we 
Canadians talk?

And I don't just mean things like:
eh
chesterfield (yup, I still say that!)
garberator  (and that!)

It all started last night when I was driving
to my hotel after dinner.
I was passed by a Toyota Celica.

I haven't seen one of those in a while.
And when I saw it, I was reminded of
Deanna Bradshaw and her Celica, Cecil.

And, of course, I pronounced it correctly.
The Canadian way.
Cel-eeeee-ca.
Not the silly American Cel-i-ca.  (soft i)

Which then got me to thinking.

Down here, Rod, Jim and Kyle drive
American Semi's.  (Long I)

But if they were in Canada, they would drive
Semeeeees.  

You know.
Like semeeee colon.
(not sem-I-colon...)

Hmmmm.
Do we ALWAYS pronounce I as EEEE?

And come to think of it...
In high school, I was a draamaa major.
Not a drahma major.
*unless I was trying to be drahmatic...  lol

Yup.
When I'm away teaching
I lose my mind.

It's scareee.

1 comment:

rktucson said...

Hi Collette, I haven't been on here to read your posts for a while it seems (read 3 or 4 today for the first time) I love to read them though! Such fun.
I think I would like to start one - just so I can post pictures and tell about MY life and what goes on, but not to the WHOLE world like on FB! This is a much better forum! Don't you find that?
Will you help me? I think I have an account, but I think that might have been before it was called Blogger... was it something else before? BlogSpot? I'll give it a try.
Anyway, I loved all your recent posts! Such fun you guys have out there.
Greg and I are in San Diego this weekend. We got home from the beach today just in time it seems - the clouds have rolled in. It's not cold, but it LOOKS cold (and that's almost as bad! ha ha) We will stay here and leave for the office around 1:30am - takes 6 hours door to door - so we have started staying here for Sunday, then getting to bed early, and getting up at 1 and heading out by 1:30- its a nice quiet drive that way and we do just fine.