Monday, January 10, 2011

Music.... Awakens WEIRD Memories!

I've been listening to an oldies radio station lately (since the Christmas music blitz is over and my regular station has started getting TONS of static...)

Anyhow, I don't "listen" so much as "have it on".  I listen to Glenn Beck in the mornings and sometimes Jim will call and say "did you hear that????"  Nope... it's on, but I'm not actually listening!  LOL  Oh, to have dvr on radio...

Anyhow (again) I was posting money the other day and heard a piece from George Harrison's album Dark Horse.  I am NOT the kind of person who knows artists/albums normally.  But this particular album, well, has the word HORSE in it.  ha ha ha ha ha

AND it has a rather strong memory attached.

I was sick.  Really sick.  Like stay in bed for a couple of days sick.  But not like when Sondra had pluerosi (sp) or anything.  Just sick.  I must have been in grade 7 or 8?  I was in the upstairs lavendar bedroom.  I had the album on the turn-table with the arm retracted so it would play over and over and over and over and over.*  And I read Lloyd C Douglas' The Robe.  Cover to cover. 

The book and the album are permanently glued together in my soul. 

And, somehow, Merrill Atkey is in there too.  Maybe it was her record?  I don't think she turned me on to The Robe... although about that time she introduced me to Jane Eyre - another perenial favorite.  (Not a year goes by that I don't read Jane Eyre, Rebecca and The Robe.) 

Anyhow - that's how my mind "works" when I'm "working". 

You're welcome.

*I'm pretty sure Mom came in at one point, checked to make sure I wasn't dead, and CLOSED THE DOOR!  LOL

**I also have a pretty distinct memory of Soni and I reading the Gollum chapters from Lord of the Rings on her bed downstairs.  She read for awhile, then had me read.  I looked up after reading a chapter or 2 and realized she was ASLEEP!  But by then it was too late.  I was HOOKED!  Thanks!  I read that one over and over too.

1 comment:

Rozann said...

Such fun - I have days like that too, when things job my memory! I also have many memories of you reading to ME! I guess that's why I read to Sam so much when she was little.