Thursday, April 14, 2011

My life is an Aesop's Fable

Remember the old Aesop's Fable about the lady with the tiny house?  She went to the village wiseman and complained that her house was too small.  So he told her to bring the cow inside. 

Are you KIDDING ME?  Bring a cow inside my teeny tiny house? 

Yup.  Bring 'er on in.

So she did.  And now she had a teeny tiny house with a cow inside.  So much worse!  Back to the wiseman.  Who, of course, told her to bring in the goat. 

She agreed and brought the goat inside.  Which naturally made the situation oh so much more uncomfortable.  And back to the wiseman she went.  His advise?  Bring in the chickens. 

After a few days with a cow, a goat and the chickens in the teeny tiny house with her and her family, she was nearly ready to lose her mind.  So back to the village wiseman. 

He said - well let them all out again!  She did - and was AMAZED at how large her house appeared!

Here at the office, my office has been the "dumping ground" for everybody's extra everything.  We used to have five people in here, now we have 2.  So since we have all this space, we were also home to 30+ storage boxes piled up everywhere.  Over the weekend, they came and took them all away.  When I got to work Monday morning I couldn't believe how open and spacious my room seemed!  My roommate and I even laughed about bringing in my dvd's and working out in here!

Then I got to thinking about how that applies to the rest of my life.  If you read my blog yesterday, you know last weekend was a little "full".  Yesterday I found out that this weekend's 4-day class has been cancelled and all I need to do is drive down to Miami Friday evening, teach a 6 hour class Saturday morning and then head home again to grade papers and email the students their results.  Suddenly I'm nearly lost with all this extra time!  LOL 

So the question is.  What will I do with that extra time?  Will I take my horse for a ride?  Will I take my son for a walk in the woods?  Will I actually CLEAN my house (instead of just closing doors?  LOL)  Will I spend some time curled up with a good book?  I'm hoping to spread a little of each of those activities around.  I'm learning that curling up with a good book isn't something to feel guilty about.  As long as it's not the ONLY thing I do for the entire day.  (I once read 5 of the Work and the Glory books in 3 days - no eating, sleeping, or anything else, but a friend lent them to me and needed them back...  that's my story and I'm sticking to it!)



Today Jim is in Montclair, CA - I think that's where they are delivering.
Rod is just outside Baltimore MD - heading to his delivery at 2:00
Kyle is at work where they finally got him a new extension cord.  (The last one caught on fire!)

Today I am wearing my beautiful yellow topaz and seed pearl necklace Nanc made for me for my birthday.  I feel pretty... Oh so pretty.... I feel pretty and witty and .... actually super thirsty.  Better go get some more water.  I did a good workout this morning and my body is PARCHED.

Love to you all!

No comments: