Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day

I hope you have all had a Happy and Memorable Memorial Day.

I spent the day wearing my pink bathing suit while Kyle and I worked in the pool getting it cleaned and beginning to fill so we can swim in it this summer.  Once the water level was a few inches high, we sat on our chairs and floated for a couple of hours while I read to Kyle.  (The Storm Testament, Volume 4.  REALLY good!  About the Mountain Meadow Massacre.)  Just got out of the shower.  Now I don't need to wear pink... cuz I AM pink!  (grin)

I also spent the day thinking back 23 years ago to when I spent a day laying in a bed in Rockledge Hospital talking with my super anxious husband, my supportive and anxious in-laws and assuring my doctor I was not going to sneak out and go riding the Wave Runner.  (Despite having one on a trailer behind the truck... we were SUPPOSED to go to the river that day.)  The day before, we were in Orlando playing putt putt golf and soaking in a friend's pool at his house warming party.  The weekend before I was, in fact, riding the Wave Runners on the river.  But on none of those occasions was I in labor.  LOL  (Ok, I was in VERY early labor while playing golf, but I thought it was just more of those endless braxton hix things... It is pretty challenging hitting a golf ball when you can't SEE the golf ball past your giant belly...) On the drive home from Orlando, stuff started moving a little more, so we decided to camp out at Tim and Angie's apartment (on the pull out couch) since they live in Rockledge.  Lots closer to the hospital than our house in Palm Bay.  I timed contractions and faithfully wrote them down all night long.

Memorial Day morning dawned (finally) bright and clear.  We headed to the hospital and spent the day and most of the evening in a nice little private room, laboring and waiting and waiting.  At midnight we moved to the delivery room.  And at 1:16 we FINALLY welcomed our Jim.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=194808293898531&set=a.194106643968696.46150.100001080844894&type=1&theater

Unfortunately all my baby pictures are "real" and I don't have any of them on this computer.  But Burke graciously put some up on Facebook!  LOL

So.....  Happy Memorial Day.  Thank you to all you veterans and their families who served, suffered, and died to protect our freedom and the freedom of others.

And early Happy Birthday to my first born son.

UPDATE:  Rod and Jim are spending (hopefully) their last night in their motel room in Chattanooga, TN.  Tomorrow they should get their license plates, necessary papers, and marching orders.  Jim started a new job last year on his birthday (selling VW cars) and it looks like the tradition might continue this year.

No comments: