Tuesday, May 7, 2013

The Secret Revealed

Yesterday I promised to reveal the secret 
to a good hard boiled egg.

Here goes.

Buy them at the deli.

NO NO NO!
I'm kidding.

Start  with room temp eggs.
I keep mine on the counter in a pretty Skelter I got 
for Christmas.

Bring a pot of water to a boil.
I use my dutch oven since I do 2 dozen at a time.
(Cuz, you know, deviled eggs..... Yum!)

Gently place your eggs in the water.
I use a soup ladle.
Set the timer for 12 minutes.

When the timer dings, 
pour off the boiling water and replace
with cold tap water.

(Note: I live in Florida.  There's no such thing...)

Then add as much ice as your ice maker will spare.
Ours is broken, but makes ice now and again,
just to keep us guessing.

Let the eggs sit in the ice bath for at least 20 minutes.
Til they are COLD.

And then here comes the secret.
Crack and peel them
RIGHT NOW.
In the cold water bath.

The shells will slide off like they are made of silk.

It works!
Try it!


No comments: