Thursday, October 3, 2013

Almond Milk

I have been buying almond milk at the store.
Silk unsweetened is $2.98 for a half gallon.
They just got Blue Diamond unsweetened in for $2.88 for a half gallon.

But last night I made my own.



In the morning I set up 1 cup of almonds (roasted, unsalted)
in 4 cups of water to soak.
(I split it between 2 jars)

Then after work (8+ hours)
I dumped it all in my Ninja blender.

Ground it all up nice.

Then poured it through my fine mesh strainer
into an 8 cup measuring cup.

Poured that into a gallon jug and topped
it off with water.

Presto!
Almond milk!

I paid about $2.90 for my bag of almonds
at Aldi's - and only used half the bag.

So figure $1.50 for a gallon of almond milk
or $6.00 for a gallon of store-bought.

Not bad!



And the really cool thing?
See that little baggie up front?
That's my leftover almond meal.
Tomorrow it goes on a cookie sheet
in the oven at 200 degrees for 3 hours.
And then into the food processor to grind up fine.

I pay $9.98 for a bag of almond flour.
That right there?
FREE!!!!!

I use almond milk in ... well ... everything.
And almond flour is my go-to flour
along with ground flax seeds
for muffins, breakfast casseroles, etc.

After I made my almond milk,
I whipped up a Cheeseburger Pie (using almond milk)
and a ham/swiss quiche.
(that one had half and half instead of almond)
(that's why I couldn't make the flour,
the oven was busy...)

So the guys have lots of good food in the fridge
for the weekend while I'm gone.

Feeling accomplished.

3 comments:

Rozann said...

wow, thats really cool! we use almond milk around here too. it is preferred becaise it is jealthier, and lasts so much longer in the fridge!

Collette said...

I love it! You can add sweetener (I use erythritol or truvia) and some vanilla if you like... and instead of flour, you can use the leftover to make almond butter!!! SO YUMMY...

Rozann said...

You're so brave! I find this kind of thing online all the time, and think, "I should try that sometime" but I never do. I don't ever seem to find the time... Maybe I could if I REALLY wanted to... but... anyway - I'm very impressed!!!