Thursday, January 22, 2015

Greek Yogurt

How is it that I am SO busy
but have nothing to talk about.

LOL

Well, I didn't take pictures,
but I DID make some awesome
Greek Yogurt yesterday.

I bought a gallon of skim milk at Sams.
It was a little over $3.
(I don't remember exactly)

I used me favorite recipe from my
favorite slow cooker site

I doubled it.

Used my 6 quart crockpot.
Poured all the milk in.
It just fit.

Turned it on low and set a timer for 2.5 hours.

When the time went off I walked by and
unplugged the crockpot.
Reset the timer for 3 hours.

(I started when I got home at 4:30,
so at 7 and reset it for 10)

At 10:00 I took the lid off,
dipped out a 4 cup measuring cup
of the milk and whisked in all my
left over yogurt. (maybe 1/2 c)
(store bought Greek 0% fat)
Added 2 packets of Knox unflavored gelatin.

Whisked it all back into the big crock.
Put the lid back on and wrapped
a big bath towel around it all.
(except it wasn't a towel, it was
one of those cheap not flannel blankets
you buy at Walgreens for $4)
Went to bed.

The next day after work,
(essentially 17 hours later)
I took the wrap off,
got two collanders,
laid a piece of t-shirt in each,
and poured half the yogurt
into each collander.

I had them sitting on a large
cottage cheese tub
to catch the whey because my
chickens LOVE it.
But if you don't have chickens,
just let it drain down the sink.
It will make your garberator smell clean.
And I heard the other day
that pouring it in the toilet
and leaving it overnight,
the next morning you wake to a
sparkling clean toilet bowl!!!!

I'm going to give that a try.
We have well water with lots of iron in it.
Ugh.
(It can also be used as an astringent on your face)
(But that's a little "crunchy" for me...)

Anyhow, a couple of hours later,
the yogurt was SUPER thick.
Almost the consistency of soft
cream cheese!
Thicker even than sour cream!
And TASTY!
Really good tang.
(I honestly have NO idea how much later it was)
(Time flies when you're having fun...)

It's made from skim, so there is no fat.
I could have added vanilla and sweetener
at the same time I added the gelatin,
but wanted this batch plain.

SUPER EASY!

And the best part.
We go through quite a bit of Greek Yogurt.

I pay $6-ish for a tub.

I paid $3-ish for the milk and got enough to
nearly fill 2 yogurt tubs.

SCORE!

No comments: