Friday, October 18, 2019

Happy Birthday Mom!

Today is my Mother's birthday!


In honor of her special day,
we had a visit from a "herd -o- birds".


Mom named them Median Birds.
When they came to visit us in Florida
they were everywhere in the medians.
Ergo... Median Birds.


Mom is such an influence in my life.
(Well, in all our lives... but this is my blog... hahaha)

Just sitting in my chair...

Across the room is my piano.
Thank you for years of lessons and making sure
that I actually practiced and learned to play.

On the piano is a framed copy of the Primary Penny song
that she and Dad did for me.

Kyle is snuggling under a blanket that I knit.
Thanks to Mom for her patient teaching of 
another skill I use over and over.
I taught my boys to knit.
Continuing down through the generations.

Cooking, cleaning, driving, all the things we 
do over and over every day without even thinking
wouldn't be possible without her guiding hand.
(Yup, Dad was there too - but mostly I remember 
learning to drive with Mom. Although Dad took me
for my driving test - Twice - and had enough confidence
in me the 2nd time to LEAVE me there so he could
go to work. It was PASS and drive home... or.... 
there was no or.)

Many of her best teaching moments were by example.
I learned to love and serve others through her example.
I watched her entertain people in her home.
I watched her serve other families.
I watched her teach piano lessons to other children.
I watched her play the organ and lead the singing.
(And learned you lead off to the side of your body
so they can see your hand and NOT to wear big jewelry
so they weren't distracted... hahahaha)
(This was the age of the giant flower pins...)

I learned to love your family.
I also learned self care.
It's a fine balance.

I learned to love the Lord.
I learned to study the scriptures.
I learned to lean on my faith when times were tough.
But also to lean on my faith when they weren't.

I learned she is a great lady.
And I learned I want to be like her.

Happy Birthday Mom.


Cutest picture in the whole world.

1 comment:

rktucson said...

Love this! My favorite posts are you birthday posts!! 😁🎂