Monday, September 25, 2023

Whew!

 Sorry for vanishing like that!
But it was a whirlwind weekend.
I rented a car on Friday morning and left town
about 10:30.


Ugh, South Florida traffic.
You can hardly see it, but this rental had a "heads up" display.
Right under the other car you can see my little
floating screen that shows my speed and even if a
turn is coming up! It was nifty!

Had to go to a town call Margate to pick up
the keys and information from the regular
instructor.
And then head on down the road to the
school in Miami.
It took from 10:30 until 3:30!!! (The GPS said
it should be a 2 hour and 20 minute drive,
but the detour into Margate took FOREVER!)
Got all set up and familiarized myself with the school.
(Not a wonderful part of town...)

Then off to my hotel.
Across the street from the big fancy horse race track.
(Which I can NOT remember the name of right now...)
Anyhow.
MUCH nicer part of town.
But seriously. 
NO RESTAURANTS!!!!!

Anyhow.
I was on the phone with Kyle while he was
driving across the country and I decided to
walk the 2 blocks to Target and get some salad
for me to take as lunches.
But there were NO crosswalks and I wasn't about
to try crossing 8 lanes of traffic without one.

So I walked back to my hotel, DROVE to Target,
got some salad, some candy for my class,
and a bag of honey coated almonds as snack for me.

Then back to my hotel.
And I walked to the Steak 'n Shake in the parking lot
for a sandwich and a shake.

And then BED!

Saturday I was at the school about 7:15 to make sure
I got the best parking spot (near the door) and
got everything up and running before the students
arrived for the day.
They were ALL Haitian.
Most spoke with a very very strong island accent.
Beautiful to listen to, but really hard to understand.

It was a HARD day of teaching.

When it was all done I drove back to my hotel,
walked to Steak n' Shake for a different sandwich
and a different shake, then upstairs to eat and SLEEP.

Sunday was a repeat of Saturday, except since it was
the final day, I also had to give them their final exam.

I had 17 students to test.
8 passed.
2 were close.
The rest CRASHED and BURNED.
It wasn't pretty.
(30's and 40's...)

I was finally finished with students about 9:20.
Packed everything up and headed back to the hotel.
And, you guessed it, Steak 'n Shake for 
another different sandwich and shake.

And then BED!!!
(Boy was I ready!)
My alarm went off at 4:00.
I wanted to get OUT of South Florida BEFORE
the rest of the crazy drivers woke up and got 
on the highway.

It was pretty smooth sailing. A little spitting of rain,
but the traffic was pretty light and I made good time.

Got home at 6:40 and slept on the couch until I
had to return my car at 9:00.
Then I cleaned out all the size 6 and size 8
(cuz let's be honest, those days are GONE)
from my closet and then Kyle and I took them to
a drop off and then to Sam's for groceries.

Then home to meet a guy who wanted to buy some
of our extra pasture gates, and then we went to the
beach for some well earned beach time!!!


And then, of course, I had to come home and teach my evening zoom.

Boy, am I ready to hit my bed again!
Sure glad my boy is home though!!!
So amazing he was able to build that whole house in
just a week.

No comments: