Thursday, February 10, 2011

Thursday, right?

I’m at work today.
I know… I’m supposed to be home, basking in the glow of my darling husband.  But he’s stuck in Atlanta.  Poor guy!  He was all ready to head home – had a load for Florida and everything!  But the truck in front of him flung a rock and broke his windshield.  Which ground all Florida-bound movement to a halt.  Luckily he was near his “home” terminal so was able to do all his laundry and take a shower for free!  (Like he couldn’t have done that when he got home, but you gotta look for the silver lining, right?)
They finally got his windshield fixed this morning, but it has to cure for 2-3 hours before he can start driving again.  Which means he was  “in detention” for 24 hours (and so he gets paid…)  So it’s not ALL bad, right? 
Meanwhile, I got up EARLY yesterday morning (yah, Froze, I know, “my” early is not actually early…)  I was up at 5 and gone by 5:45 heading south to Ft. Lauderdale to meet with the honchos from home office about the new curriculum.  The plan was to get there for an 8:00 breakfast.  But some poor soul on the highway got into an accident and it caused everyone to do stop-and-go for 25 minutes.  (despite being pulled over to the side of the road, not in ANYBODY’s way, or even being all the interesting to look at!!!!!)  So… Instead of pulling into the hotel parking lot at 7:59 as predicted by my faithful GPS, I pulled in at 8:25. 
Wandered down to the table and visited with the folks there until just after 9:00 when we headed up to the room to begin deliberations.  It’s always fun to get a bunch of people together with no clear direction or understanding of what is expected and hope to come out of the room 8 hours later with a useable product.  I don’t know how successful we were, but the 3 of us sitting at our end of the room had a great time “work shopping” and comparing notes about the different strategies we use to teach various concepts.  I felt like I learned a TON!  And I was gratified to see they brought the manual from the agonizing class I went to in Pensacola last year and were using lots of the information from that experience.  I also brought the Review manual I’ve been teaching from for the last few years.  Emily (from home office) was pleased to know I use it LOTS (as evidenced by the state it’s in, as well as all the notes I have made over time…)  (She wrote it...)  She referred back to it often and seemed to take note of the changes I had made.
We had a great lunch downstairs (HQ FORBADE her from having a “working” lunch…) and then back up to finish up.  I think she got lots of material.  Looking forward to seeing the results.  Some of the instructors were hesitant about participating… feels a little like working yourself out of a job.  I imagine the horse and buggy guys felt like that when the new automobile folks came in asking them to help them create a new chassis…  But you gotta embrace change.  It’s coming either way… might as well get onboard…
Another senseless slowdown on the highway on the way home, adding another 30+ minutes to the drive.  But I got home just before 8:00 (I think) so it was all good.  Kyle and I ate a little dinner, watched a little TV and then headed off to bed.  One of his co-workers lost her Mom this week, so he’s covering for her which means opening at 7:15 and getting off at 4:15.  Quite a change for the guy who generally doesn’t get UP until 7:40 and goes in at 9!  He’s NOT loving it, but it will be over soon.
Jim update:  Today is the last day of testing.  He is doing STELLAR!  Can’t wait to get out there on the road with a trainer and start actually making a little money.  (during training they get a flat rate regardless of the miles they drive… but something is better than NOTHING!)  We are super proud of him and can’t wait for him to team up with his Dad!
Rod Update:  Still waiting………………  Snowed in Atlanta last night.  Can’t wait to head south!  (but it’s rainy and chilly today… not much better than where he is…)

No comments: