Thursday, February 27, 2014

Pressure Cooker!

I got brave over the weekend.

A new friend came over and taught me how to butcher chickens.
We were supposed to do the rooster, Fred.
He is ANNOYING!
He is also sneaky.

We took him off the roost Friday night
(after he was asleep)
and stuck him in the rabbit hutch.

But Saturday morning, when we opened
the hutch, he busted out!
Stinker.

Luckily I had a backup plan.
Pearl got to be our trainer bird.
(She lays VERY sporatically, hides them
very effectively,
and when/if you DO find them,
they have a white, paper thin shell.)

We also had 3 rabbits who were at butcher weight.

I've spent hours on YouTube learning how
to butcher and process rabbits.
It was time for the rubber to hit the road.

Thankfully Kyle took care of the first step.
(But we are going to use a different method next time.)

I was amazed how quick and easy the rest
of the process turned out to be!
And then, on the advice of my friend,
I bought a new electric pressure cooker.
I've never had/used a real pressure cooker before.

Oh my goodness!

Turns out rabbit is really delicious!
And easy to cook.


You can brown the meat right there in the cooker
before you even start.
Then add some liquid (I was going to use
apple juice, but forgot to buy it...)
celery, onion, seasonings and a couple strips of bacon.

I should have cooked it for 15 minutes,
but every thing I read/watched said 10.
It was cooked through, but not as tender
as they said it would be.
But still DELISH!

I have 2 more to cook.
I'm thinking I'll freeze them,
practice some with chicken,
and THEN give it another try.


 

No comments: