Monday, March 10, 2014

Improvements All Around

My darling husband takes such good care of me!
And of my chickens!

The newest babies are growing FAST!
But with the time change, it was still dark
when I went out to look this morning.
(For those of you in Arizona, we are,
once again, 3 hours ahead of you!)

The Cornish Cross (Meaties) "can" be
pasture raised, but "they" say the meat
is more tender if they don't get to do a
ton of running around.
Makes sense.

I only have 20, so there is PLENTY of room
for they in the condo.
The problem is there isn't any room for ME!

I love the condo.


But it's short.
As in not tall.
As in, I have to nearly crawl to get in.
(Cuz I'm not good at duck walking...)

And, I am now, officially, the SHORTEST
human in our family.
Darn you Kyle!
(grin)

So.

Rod took it upon himself
(yup, all by himself)
to fix that situation.



Using his floor jack and his muscles
and his amazing puzzle sovling abilities,
he jacked up one end and stuffed some
cinder blocks underneath.



Then he jacked up the other end
and stuffed some cinder blocks under that.

It's even LEVEL!

Next he is going to frame in the bottom
probably using 2x2s and welded wire
but the trick here is there will be sections,
with HINGES! 

So we can open a section, stick in a rake
and clean out the poop!
(Cornish Cross birds EAT a lot
so they can GROW a lot
which means they POOP a lot.)

BUT

The bonus is,
you can WALK inside.
So no more hanging in the window
trying to change the water and feed!



(See the open window on the side?)
(to the left)
That's where we feed and water.
The two panels on the right
drop down.
The top is where the nest boxes are.
The bottom is because they keep
ignoring the nest boxes and laying on the ground.
Sigh.

In other news...

Last weekend.
He made some major improvements to the
girls BIG coop.

They have six nest boxes in there.
They slant.
So the eggs roll to the back.
And there is a panel so they can't sit on them,
or walk on them,
or peck at them...

But the panel wasn't quite right.

So Rod fixed THAT!
He added another row of wood
to make it harder for them to reach under.



The girls LOVE it!
(That's somebody's body part...)
(She's getting ready to lay her egg...)



And I love it!
It's so quick and easy and convenient.



And the eggs stay CLEAN!
(Except that one up front...)
Which is a nice bonus when you figure
we get between 69 and 72 eggs
EVERY DAY.
That's a LOT of eggs to wash.
(There are 21 dozen eggs on the counter
that need to be washed tonight.)

I love my darling husband.
He really does take amazingly good care of me.
He makes my life so easy!


And really.
What's NOT to love?????

No comments: