Tuesday, November 25, 2014

How I Spent My Birthday

Yesterday I said I would tell you more
about how I spent my day yesterday.

First we got to sleep in!
What a TREAT!
(I took the day off work and
Monday is Rod's regular day...)

After a yummy breakfast of a
"Mint Chocolate Chip" smoothie
and a breakfast burrito with eggs,
light swiss cheese, turkey bacon
on a tortilla crisped in butter...
we headed out to the barn.

Kyle joined us with his rifle.

I processed 4 rabbits on Saturday,
but then (1st world problem) I snapped
my finger nail trying to pull the skin
off the carcass - and it really HURT!
So instead of doing any more, I headed
to the nail salon and got them done.
Now they are beautiful.
And short.
And not painful.

Monday morning we had 7 more
rabbits that needed to be processed.



You might be a redneck if...
(Super flattering!  But who puts on makeup
or a nice shirt to butcher rabbits???)

It is so much nicer working with a partner!
We did 2 at a time
and it went so nice and smooth!
(Helps that it was overcast! It was
in the high 70's but without the sun
beating down on you, that's GLORIOUS!)

ALERT!
DEAD RABBIT PICTURE...


We have the perfect tree.
Unfortunately, it also died.
We will need to cut it down soon
before it falls and lands on the shed.
Darn it!

We wanted to "do" some roosters too,
but Sunday night we forgot to close the coops,
so when we got up, all the chickens
were running loose in their yard.
There's no way I can catch those boys.
They are small and FAST!
(And loud and obnoxious which explains
why they need to head to the freezer...)
(Unfortunately, they are also CUTE!)


(cute chicken picture to atone for the rabbit one...)
If you look carefully you can see her
blue "earring" right behind her beak.
This is a stock photo,
but gives you a good idea what they look like.
They have feathers that look and feel like fur!
SUPER soft.
A bit bigger than half the size of my other chickens.
With feathers on their feet.
Looks like they are wearing bedroom slippers!

Adorable.
But still loud and obnoxious.

They also have BLACK skin, bones, and MEAT!
So this should be an adventure.

Anyhow.

They escaped once again.
But this weekend - time's up!

(We counted over the weekend and we have
208 chickens!  Including the new babies...)


Aren't they darling???
They will be 2 weeks old tomorrow.

So...
after we "did the deed" and got them in
every single crockpot and stockpot we own...
we got cleaned up and headed out to run errands.

Drove around the corner to the front gate and...


SO AWESOME!

We have a GATE ORNAMENT!


I TOTALLY love it!
The T-Shirt is a gift as well.

Here's a hilarious note...
It says
"Farm girls aren't afraid to get dirty".
Rod waited until after we were done
to give it to me.
He didn't want me to get it dirty.

LOL!!!

Finished up the evening with a fabulous dinner
of ribeye and veggies at Texas Roadhouse
and then curled up on the couch to watch
cheesy Hallmark Christmas movies.

A PERFECT birthday!

1 comment:

Rod said...

I am glad you liked your gate ornament and your shirt.