Monday, December 4, 2017

Fences

They say fences make good neighbors.
We have GREAT neighbors already.
But our dogs didn't get that memo.

Our neighbors, Rick and Chris
are cat people.
And then Rick retired.
And then Chris retired.
And she was bored.
And she "rescued" a dog.
A pretty little female.
They started going to training to learn
to be a therapy dog.
But Dixie was pretty shy.
So they switched to agility training.
And she was GOOD at it!
So they started going to shows.

And then Rick decided to join in.
So he bought a male dog of the same breed.
And Apollo is the exact opposite
of Dixie.

They are both beautiful.

And Shadow hates them both.
(Actually they were good friends until
we got Bandit and Shadow decided to be
her Mom and went all Mama Bear on Dixie.)

So now whenever Dixie or Apollo are out
(Chris only takes them out one at a time
and on a leash) Shadow sticks her head through
the wire fence and tries to eat them.
There is always lots of barking and
jumping and it's not fun for either side.

We built a "dog yard" and keep our
dogs out there all day.
They have lots of room to run and play
and Rod and Kyle built them a raised
patio with a metal roof so they have a place
to get out of the sun or the rain.
But mostly they dug UNDER the patio
and have a nice cool cave.

But it still sometimes gets crazy.

Friday, Chris opened the back door to
let her cat out (or something) and Apollo escaped.

I was outside feeding the animals, so my dogs
were all loose running around the yard.
Apollo saw them and came running.
He can EASILY clear the 4' fence if he wants.
Chris was terrified he was going to do that.
So she was screaming.
Shadow had her head through the holes and
was barking and trying to bite him.
So I was yelling at my girls to get back 
in the garage.
It wasn't pretty.

So after all the dogs were contained,
I asked Kyle to take a day off work.

And this is what we did.


This is "before".
Looking out our side yard into their side yard.


This is after putting up a couple of panels.
We bought 14.
I miscounted.

We had to go back and get 3 more.
And some lunch.
Cuz we were HUNGRY!


And this is our new fence.
The dogs can't see each other.
Chris can let her dogs out without a leash
and not worry about them.
I don't have to worry about my dogs
eating her dogs.
(Apollo is a space cadet, but he keeps winning
Best In Show
for his breed and if she bit him it would
be devastating.
And expensive...)

Chris is over the moon happy.
And they offered to pay for half.

And you can still see over the fence
so although it looks like we are all
fenced in (we are) it's not claustrophobic
or anything.
Unless you look over there, you don't
even really notice it.

I actually REALLY like it.
We might paint it the same color as the house.
But that's later.
I learned to use the screw gun.
(I already knew, but I was TERRIBLE
at it, Kyle helped me with some
tips and tricks and I'm still terrible,
but with little letters.)
I also got to use the big table / miter saw
and cut a board.
I always wanted to do that!

Good thing I learned all that stuff 
cuz I still need to finish
securing the fence. 
Kyle is out of days off.
We only put in the
screws in the middle - we need to install
more 2 x 4 supports on the back.
But it's up.
And it's pretty.
And it works.

And I was EXHAUSTED.
LOL

No comments: