Wednesday, February 28, 2018

I'm OVER Plan B

Seems like I've been having to use
Plan B an awful lot lately.
Good thing my middle name
is "Flexible".
(Ok, it really isn't, but I try to
stay positive-ish.)

First my hotel!

The hotel I've been staying in for
the last year received some hurricane
damage and decided to close until
they could get it repaired.
It was taking longer than they had
originally anticipated.
In January, they called, left a voicemail,
sent me a text AND an email to let
me know they were still not ready
and to make other arrangements.

I've been staying at the MUCH more
expensive Hampton Inn.
I've had to use my extra points to
bring the room rate down to something
my company will approve.
But I'm nearly out of points.
Good thing LaQuinta said they would
be open by February!

Except that when I drove down there
and pulled into the parking lot,
it was DARK and EMPTY and
CLOSED.

Luckily they had ONE room left at
the Hampton Inn. The lights by the
bed don't work, I had to use the
flashlight on my phone.
And it was $250! (A discount
from $309 because of the lights.)

(Required a 9:30 pm phone call to
my supervisor to get approval...)
The next morning I jumped online
and discovered that EVERYONE in
the area was booked solid.
No reason, except it is Florida
and WINTER everywhere else.

I managed to find a room 10 miles
away in another town at a
Motel 6.
Remember when Motel 6 charged
$6 / night?
Ha!
I'm pretty sure this is the same room,
but now it's $109.
But that beats $309!

And it was clean.
So I was ok.

Called LaQuinta on Monday to voice
my displeasure. Which is big for me!
I don't do stuff like that.

They said, Sorry.
Oh, by the way, we'll be closed
through March.

So I found another room at Motel 6
in Lantana for the next weekend.
And FINALLY got one at Studio 6
in West Palm for March.

Sheesh.

Then this weekend, the A/C in our
classroom died.

It was having challenges last month
but they PROMISED they got it fixed.
In fact, Saturday morning it was too cold.

And then it died.

It went up to 85 Sunday afternoon.

We couldn't take it anymore.
So we moved our chairs downstairs
to the "lobby" which is open-air but at
least it is in the shade and cooler.


It was still hot, but at least 
there was a breeze!


We were done with the material we
had to learn and were just doing review
anyway... (prepping for our final exam
at 7 pm) so they were happy enough
playing student driven HangMan.
LOL

And then we headed back upstairs
where it had dropped by a balmy 82.
And they almost all passed.

But BOY I hope they actually FIX
the A/C before March!
Cuz it's Florida.
And it's only going to get hotter.

Kudos to my students for
hanging in there though!

No comments: