Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Oops, a Blessing, and Kinda Bragging....

So last week while I was in Miami,
we were talking about the continuing education
requirements for the license we hold.

Since I was mostly BORED,
I thought it might be a nice idea to
check "My Profile" on the state's
website and verify that my CEs are
in fact due this November.

I was kind of surprised to find there 
was a giant RED notice that my
email address appeared to be wrong.

Correct... we closed that email last
October when I retired and we changed
internet providers at the house.

Generally that causes a $250.00 fine.
Nope.
No fine.
Whew!

And then my eyes scrolled down to a
line that said I had one unread message.

On my way to clicking on that,
my eyes scrolled past the area that
shows my current licenses held.
It said,
No licenses on file.

WHAT?

I've been licensed since the 90's!

Clicked on the message which said
this is a reminder that your license
will expire on 4/16/18 if you do not
get an appointment (job).

Huh.
It was 5/6/18.
Missed it!

Strange they didn't bother to send me a LETTER.

Naturally panic ensued.
Luckily the lady I was visiting has a
very calm and level head.

We went out to dinner together that night.
She loves Red Lobster, and I had one in 
the parking lot next to my hotel...

On my way there, I was listening to Pandora
The Piano Guys channel.
Big surprise, right?
Just as I pulled into the parking lot,
still with that panicked feeling in my stomach,
Danny's Song by Anne Murray came on.
And out jumped the words,
"Everything is Gonna Be All Right!"

I love it when our amazing Heavenly Father
shows His love (and his sense of humor)
to give us those little messages we SO need
in one particular moment in a method we
are mostly likely to hear.
(This is the 2nd time I've gotten a direct
answer through music on the radio in a vehicle!)

(And thanks to that message, the feeling
immediately went away and instead of
laying WIDE AWAKE all night stressing,
I slept like a BABY...)

 Anyhow.

Fast forward to when I got home.
I researched,
talked to the folks at the State,
got finger printed,
and on Friday I sat for my State Exam.
(I took a practice test in the morning
and pulled a respectable 94%.)

Full of confidence (but STARVING)
I sat for my exam.
There were THREE questions that I marked
to go back and look at again,
but remembering "Collette's Law of Test Taking"
I chose not to change my answers.


The proctor was QUITE surprised!
She said she had worked there for the past
four years and had NEVER given out
a 100% score before!
She wanted to know my secret.

(They are SUPER strict about cheating,
I had to take off my jacket to prove
there was nothing written on my arms,
turn out the pockets on my jeans,
pat down my legs,
luckily my hair was pulled up so she
could see my ears, but I still had
to turn around so she could see the 
BACKS of my ears looking for blue tooth
devices!
Sheesh!)

I told her my secret was teaching the class
every month for the past 18 years.

"Nope", she said. 
"That's not it.
I've tested lots of instructors before."

I just smiled and shook my head.

Anyhow.
I'm all legal again.

(Disclaimer - it is PERFECTLY legal in our
state to teach the class without a license.
The license is only necessary if you SELL
insurance - AND only if you are paid
by commission... But I feel silly teaching
a class on passing an exam for a license
that I don't currently hold.)

And now I have more insight into what
my students can expect when they go to test.

(Things have changed a little since I
last passed this test... 30 years ago!)

No comments: