Thursday, July 25, 2019

Record Numbers! (And a Couple "God Winks")

It has been brought to my attention
that I left y'all hanging about my
class last weekend.
Maybe because I was trying to wipe
it out of my brain?
Hahaha.

I sent a text to the gentleman who
sets up the room for me and let him
know that we had 143 people registered.
I would need ALL the tables and chairs.

He took me at my word.

My room is rated for 20 students.
I can comfortably fit 28.
I have STUFFED 32.

He set up for 42 students!!!

GOD WINK #1
(God Winks are what some people call
those little blessings that show you that
you are LOVED.)

There were students waiting for me when
I arrived at school at 7:10. Registration begins
at 7:30, but I sent a couple emails to the students
letting them know they should be EARLY.
I started signing people in.
At 8:00 I had 14 more people still standing
in line waiting to sign in.
I counted them off and then closed the door.

I had EXACTLY 42 students.

Class starts at 8:00 and I'm not allowed to
sign in anyone after that point, so I let those
14 people in, gave them books and then closed
the door into my classroom.
I put a note on the front desk in the office
letting people know we were full and to please
leave their name and contact information
so they would be re-registered.
When I opened the door at break there were an
additional 6 people who had left their names.
(And two more showed up Sunday morning.
REALLY? They were unhappy they couldn't get
in, but hey - class started yesterday. You weren't 
here so I gave your seats away.)

GOD WINK #2

As I pulled into the drive-thru at McDonalds
to pick up my breakfast , I said a quick prayer,
asking for everything to go smoothly and
for help with this huge class I was expecting.
I ordered my breakfast in the drive-thru,
(2 sausage burritos, and a large drink with no ice...) 
he mis-heard me and
rang me up for 3 burritos.
It wasn't worth the hassle of correcting him
and they are only $1 each, and my company
pays for my meals, so I let it go.
I inhaled one on the drive to the school.

At first break, I started signing in the 14 people.
I got 5 of them done.
(It's REALLY EASY, but some of these folks
don't speak much English and haven't got much
experience with "technology" so it takes a little
time on the first run through...)

At 2nd break, I signed in 5 more students.
At 3rd break (when I normally pre-order my
Subway sandwich) I signed in the final 4 students.
So I didn't order lunch.

And then at lunch, I had RVPs, students, etc
asking a billion questions and I knew it was going
to take forever to sign them all back in, so
I chose not to take lunch.
And LOOK! I still had 2 burritos left
from breakfast!

All-in-all it was a good class, but WAY too big.
I didn't feel like I connected with more than
half of the students. There were several who were
vocal, it was a good class, but I feel like there were
some who were "lost" and I couldn't "find" them.

I dropped to 40 students on Sunday (so I COULD
have fit the 2 late girls, but I expect everyone to
come back and they annoyed me with their 
attitudes so... whatever... lol.)

Anyhow.

Incidentally, I DIDN'T say a quick prayer
when I got to McDonalds.
Ordered my usual (except I intentionally
ordered 3 burritos since it was a great idea)
and when I got 2 blocks away and reached
into my bag to snarf a burrito...

My soda was a regular Coke with FULL ICE.
My breakfast was 2 hash brown patties
and an Egg McMuffin.

So I made a Good Girl Moonshine
(splash of apple cider vinegar, tsp of
powdered ginger, a packet of stevia and
a bottle of water - I keep this stuff in my
cabinet at all times...) and opened the McMuffin.
Ate the meat, cheese and egg.
Gave the hash browns to the first 2 students
who raised their hands,
and threw away the muffin.

I didn't get a chance to pre-order my lunch
and Subway was PACKED, so I hit the
McD in the same parking lot and got
a burger. (Ick... but food is food...)

Point taken.

Also... Kyle and I keep telling each other that
we have GOT to start listening to "that little voice".
The little voice said, after school on Sat night
you should really pop into WalMart and get some
paper products for the bathroom.

But WalMart isn't anywhere near my school,
Chili's where I get my take-away dinner, 
or my hotel.
So I forgot.

And we ran out of paper towels.
Wipe your hands on your pants.
Hahahahahaha.

Looking forward to this weekend.
NOT looking forward to calling and marking
the electronic roll and re-signing all 40-ish
students back in for their final exam in a 
TEN MINUTE BREAK.

The class is SO full that I can't walk from 
student to student and have them sign in once
the test has begun, so I think I will go back
to my original idea (a year ago) of giving
them the test and then when they bring
up their test to be graded, I'll have them
sign in at that time.
It was a TOTAL pain in the neck.
But the best of the lousy options.

No comments: