Monday, February 24, 2020

Bottle Babies

There are actually TWO bottle babies.

Baby #1.
Turns out Rod hasn't been a big fan of
my "Q-tip" but is too sweet to tell me so.
Pearl (of the Trim Healthy Mamas) has waist
length BLACK hair, but now that she is nearing
50, she thought she should go with a softer color.
So she did, and cut a couple of inches off.
I thought it looked gorgeous, and she shared 
the brand of healthy hair color she used,
so I checked them out.

And then I showed it to Rod.
And he TOTALLY encouraged me to go for it.

So.....


Since I'm still not supposed to be using my arm,
I asked HIM (and Kyle in the peanut gallery)
to color my hair for me.

They got creative.


And then it was time to wait.....


I like it!
And more importantly, HE likes it!



Nobody at church even mentioned it.
Whatever.
(grin)

Meanwhile...

Bottle Baby #2.....

On Saturday while the guys were finishing
putting the wire fencing on the new garden
the dogs found a couple of baby rabbits.
One didn't survive.
The other they snatched from the jaws of death
and put into the rabbit hutch.
The plan was to put it back where Mom could
find it that night, but we forgot.

So...
We headed to Tractor Supply for a little bottle
and some kitten milk replacer.
We figure this little guy (gal?) is about 18 days 
old, which is how old they usually are when they
start leaving the nest and exploring...


Ignore my wrinkly face and focus on the cute
little bunny refusing the bottle.
After about 15 minutes he suddenly started
sucking for all he was worth!


And then he immediately fell sound asleep.

I got him out this morning for a repeat performance.
Without most of the struggling and trying to escape.
In fact when I opened the hutch, he ran right
into my hand. I think he might be lonely.
And chilly.

He fought the nipple for about 10 minutes
and then suddenly ate his fill
and back to sleep.

He/She is old enough to start eating solid food
so I'm going to pick up some pellet today
and put it out for him.
Still needs to nurse for a couple more weeks,
but by then he should be super tame.

We are going to keep this one and add some
more for our new breeding program.
We'll just pick up a couple of little ones
next month when Tractor Supply has them
on sale for Easter.
(Unless we can find a local breeder before then...)

Anyhow.
We now have TWO bottle babies!

No comments: