Monday, January 31, 2022

FROST

 GRRRRR

They predicted we were going to have 
COLD nights and mornings Sat and Sunday.

And we survived.

And then last night (although we covered EVERYTHING)
we got a heavy frost and it killed it all.

Lost the hibiscus, the tomatoes, the peppers,
the mangos, everything.

The dew fell, it froze, and it all died.
(The sheets were frozen...)
Darn it.

We were planning to pull everything out
of the garden and plant beans in the next
week or so anyway, but we tried to save those
wonderful black tomatoes and the peppers.

Sigh.


Tomatoes and peppers.


Hibiscus "ghosts".

Sad.

But - life continues on.
We'll just plant new tomatoes and peppers.
(The watermelon got taken out by the previous
week's cold snap...)

Meanwhile......


It wasn't terrible yesterday.
That was our high.
Today it is 67 and climbing
to 80 by Friday.

I've been running the freeze dryer out in 
the garage non-stop.
Both to preserve food, but also because it
puts off a good amount of heat, so the dogs
stayed nice and warm during these cold nights.


Sunday we finished a load of green beans.


And then put in a load of onions and
colored bell peppers.


LOTS and LOTS of onions and bell peppers!
Saturday between my classes I chopped them all.
Luckily I have my favorite little chopper
so it only took about an hour.


As it was, my eyes were starting to water.
I can only imagine hand chopping them all!
YIKES!


I bought a stack of those little pizza thingies.
It's a little white post that they put in a pizza
box so the lid doesn't crush the pizza and all
the cheese gets stuck on the inside of the lid.

But it's also handy so I can stack my trays and 
don't have to worry about them getting stuck
or crushing each other.

It's pretty nifty.
And it was like $5 on amazon.
(Stole the idea for someone on facebook...)

OK.
Well, my co-worker at the town is in the hospital
so I might need to run to the Town for a couple of 
hours - so I'd best get done here, eat some quick
lunch and get on about my day.

No comments: