Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Whirlwind Weekend

I was looking forward to a nice,
relaxing,
quiet,
weekend.

(Ok, I was going to butcher chickens,
but you know what I mean...)

BUT

Friday morning I got a panic call from
the school director.
Could I head down to Hialeah (north Miami)
for the weekend?

I assumed the instructor was sick.

Nope.

The instructor was fired.

It was a little bit of a fiasco.

But the hotel was really nice. 
An older Courtyard Marriott.
And it was a nice drive - only 2.5 hours.

Saturday morning, class starts at 8.
I got there at 7:30 to meet the guy with the key
and take a tour of the facility.
NICE office!
(And a really nice guy - especially for 
having to get up early to let me in...)

At 8:00 there were exactly ZERO students.
Sigh.

So I started snooping through boxes of stuff.
And found about 7 boxes full of old curriculum.
Which is a HUGE violation.

So I dragged those all out to the main lobby.
(We were on the 2nd floor, I'm not shlepping
boxes of books down two flights of stairs.
Sorry...)

At 9:00 I called the director to tell him about the boxes.
(I already told him about the students, or lack of, at 8)

While we were on the phone,
in walks this random woman.
Carrying old books, so I assumed she
was just coming to review.

Nope.
She was in class the previous weekend.
But the instructor told her class starts at 9 on Saturdays.
???????????

Whatever.

Then she said these old books were what the
instructor gave out and was teaching out of.
(which makes no sense since there were
FOUR full boxes of NEW books right there
in the closet... AND we just did a two day
seminar in Orlando in February where I taught
out of the NEW manual to get the other 
instructors up to speed on the new books!
Sheesh!)

Another HUGE violation!

So we sat down and I got started figuring out
what had been taught and what hadn't...
When in walks ANOTHER random woman!

(Sorry I'm a couple of minutes late...)
(Try an HOUR AND A HALF!)

So then there were two.

We had a good class.
And during breaks and while they were doing
workbook stuff, I kept snooping.
Found the class cabinet which is to ALWAYS 
be locked.  It was open.  Of course.
And inside were MORE old curriculum books.

And the FINAL EXAMS.

And the ANSWERS.

My poor boss was nearly having a coronary.

Turns out there was a field auditor attending class
last Saturday morning.
He arrived at 7:30, stayed in the parking lot until 8:55,
reported no instructor and left.
The instructor showed up at 9:15 claiming car trouble.
But no phone call to the director.
So automatic fired.

Luckily he WAS late, because if the auditor HAD
attended class and been issued the old books
and witnessed the unlocked cabinet,
our entire SCHOOL would have been in jeopardy.

So.....

It all turned out for the best.
The students learned what they needed.

And I got to eat dinner at the Don Shula Hotel
in Miami Lakes (the super cute place I substituted
at over Christmas) and have their incredible
fish sandwich and cheesecake.

So all is right with the world.

And the chickens got to live another week.

Lucky Girls.

1 comment: