Thursday, April 2, 2015

I Pledge Allegiance To The Flag

We were talking about things kids don't do in school anymore.
I remember standing next to my desk in elementary school
and singing "O Canada", reciting the pledge of allegiance
and saying the Lord's Prayer.

So then I tried to remember the pledge.

I pledge allegiance to the flag
the emblem of my country,
mumble mumble mumble mumble.....

Couldn't remember it!
(Ok, it's been 40+ year, but STILL!)

Now it was bugging me.

Google to the rescue.

And here's what I found.


All the way at the bottom of the page...

There is no official pledge to the Canadian flag; 
however, there are no laws or statutes which prevent 
an association or an individual 
from adopting a form which will suit the purposes.

WHAT?
So our school just made that up?????

Help me out here.
SOMEBODY has to remember it...

Cuz it's making me a little nuts!


3 comments:

rktucson said...

sorry, cant help you out there.. when I start out saying "I pledge allegiance to the flag... of the United States of America... that just comes out next! Guess I was a cub scout leader too long? haha

rktucson said...

To my Flag and to the country it represents, I pledge RESPECT and LOYALTY.
Wave with PRIDE from sea to sea and within your folds, keep us ever UNITED.
Be for all a symbol of LOVE, FREEDOM and JUSTICE.
God keep our FLAG.
God protect our CANADA.

or

I salute the flag, the emblem of my country, to who I pledge, my love and loyalty.

Collette said...

The second one sounds more like what I remember.

I'm like you - I've done the US pledge a gazillion times in scouts, and now we do it at the beginning of the town committee meetings each month. If I'm not paying attention I end with "two". Oops!