Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Klutz

Yup.
I'm a klutz.
This isn't news to most people who know me.

It started in Grade 3.
I stepped off the curb in front of 
Janie Saunder's house without realizing
the curb was there, fell, and jammed
a rock right into my knuckle.
I still have a mustache shaped scar
on the side of my finger.

Then there was the time I forgot to duck
low enough and hit a branch while riding
Merrill Atkey's horse, spooked the horse
and ended up landing on my head on the trail.
(And had to walk home... the horse was 
LONG gone...)

I've hit my head on more branches
than I can count.
Sometimes on horseback.
Sometimes while I'm walking.

Or the time I was holding a horse
for the vet, Buddy bumped me with his
nose and knocked me backwards,
so that I stepped back,
right into the water bucket sitting
behind me and going down.
Hard.
SO embarrassing!

The best one was when I twisted around to
say something to Rod (who was
riding behind me) and turned just
in time to take a good solid thick branch
right to the head.

Sheesh.

Of course, we've all seen those videos
of stupid people texting and walking
and stepping into an open man hole or falling
off the sidewalk or whatever...

And we all laugh and say,
What idiot walks while using their phone?????

I can honestly say I never do that.

However, I'm reading a really good book
on my Kindle.  Lunch break was over,
but the chapter wasn't.
So I was reading while walking across
the parking lot back to the office.

And didn't notice the parking bollard.
And fell.
Hard.
In front of a co-worker.
Dropped my Kindle.
(It's fine)
And my empty lunch bag
(and all the contents went everywhere)
And my soda.
Which also went everywhere.

My knee is a little tender,
but I didn't rip my pants,
or surprisingly skin my palms,
or wreck my boots,
or break my nose
or anything else.

So only my pride is wounded.
And I'll probably quit reading while I walk.

Probably.

1 comment:

rktucson said...

how do you come up with these awesome things to write about? I guess they are just everyday things, but you make them into interesting stores! Guess that's called being an awesome writer! ha ha