Friday, November 2, 2018

Radio Silence

Sorry for the radio silence.
I've been BUSY!

Last weekend I finished up my October class.
It was a good class, started out medium sized
and we lost several students as the days 
went by. But those that remained were
lots of fun, but as the years go by,
I find it more and more tiring to teach.
I still LOVE it though.
And I'm blessed to be able to rest up
during the week between classes,
so it's all good.

Anyhow.
The guys were out of town helping those
in the Panhandle who were so devastated
by the hurricanes. It wasn't the same sort of
devastation they saw in Key West.
The Panhandle is COVERED in trees.
They are saying we lost MILLIONS (plural)
of old growth trees up there.
Most of the jobs the guys were called on
had an average of 20 to 30 trees down.
Massive loss.
You plant pine and then you wait for 40 years
for it to be ready to harvest.
In the meantime, you harvest the pine needles
each year and sell it for garden mulch, etc
and that's what you live on while you wait.
It's all gone now.

We all got back Sunday night, within an hour or
so of each other. And we all were EXHAUSTED
on Monday. Rod had the day off, so we got back
in the truck and headed up to our feed mill.
All the feed barrels were empty.
It always feels good to have 1200 pounds of
feed in the barn.

Tuesday morning I decided it was time to
do something about my lazy chickens.
I still had 50+ and only got EIGHT eggs.
Kyle got out there and we dispatched 36 chickens,
leaving me a dozen or so and 2 roosters.
That's too many roosters, but Fred is an OLD
man we raised from an egg and we just
couldn't kill him. George is a good rooster,
he's young, only a year old, so I will likely keep
him anyway. We'll figure something out.

I sent Brock (next door) a text letting him know
I was getting rid of my chickens that day and
wouldn't be selling eggs anymore. (We have
talked about it for several months - I thought
I could hold out until Thanksgiving when my
new girls would take over, but last week I only
had 8 dozen eggs for the entire week - I remember
when I used to have 30! and at only $3 per dozen
its not worth it...) He has a commercial supplier
that he orders from on Tuesdays, so it wasn't
a problem for him, and a relief for me.

Kyle and I also went to our town's new
Yamaha dealership to look at side-by-sides
to replace the old worn out one at the ranch.
We found a nice one and sent some information
to Linda and her daughter, Gina, to think
about for the future.

Wednesday found us driving Kyle's car up to the ranch
to move the cows, check out a source for
fence posts and just basically check stuff over.

On the way up, Kyle got a text from Gina.
She found another side-by-side up in the
Gainesville area for a good price - we should
go buy it right now.
Hahaha.
But we didn't have the credit card or the check book.
Or the truck.

So we went up. 
We looked at it.
We bought it.
(With a deposit...)

And then we went back to the ranch,
checked the cows, walked through Kyle's house and
made some plans for the future and headed home.
We got home late.

Looking into his new kitchen.
Not a bad looking little kitchen.
And then Thursday morning we got up again,
jumped in Kyle's truck and drove over to Linda's
to pick up our trailer and head back to the ranch again.

We went to the dealership, picked up the new
side-by-side, loaded it up, drove it over
to the ranch and took it for a ride!
It's FUN!
It's fast.
It's NICE.
And it has super comfy seats!
(hahaha)


We drove around and checked all the fences,
visited with the cows,
and then it was time to drive home again.

Kyle is a cow whisperer... they love him!
The babies are growing up and they are curious!
We made it home just 10 minutes before Rod got
back from his High Council meeting.

We were all sound asleep within 30 minutes.

This morning (Friday) Kyle and I slept it.
(Poor Rod)
And then I got up, fed the animals,
caught up on my BoM reading (I was 2 days behind),
baked some yummy little cookie/brownie things
(chocolate / peanut butter... YUM)
showered, changed and headed out to
meet Linda for lunch for her birthday today.
We went to Red Robin for some delicious sandwiches
and a fun conversation. The poor server kept
coming over to get our order and we still hadn't
even looked at the menu. She finally brought over
a basket of french fries so we didn't starve.
LOL.
We ended up ordering two of the exact same thing.

Anyhow.
I'm home now.
I need to make hotel reservations.
We are all going back up to Gainesville on Wednesday
for a cow seminar thing on Thursday.

Hope you are having a wonderful Friday!
I am!

No comments: