Saturday, June 6, 2020

Food Prep - Vacation Style

Kyle and I are leaving Monday EARLY.
We are going to be gone...
around 10 days.
Maybe a little more.
(Since we are driving home...)

And I didn't want Rod having to eat
at Chick Fil A everyday while we
were gone...

So I spend a couple of hours today cooking.

Thankfully I keep lots of things 
"prepped" in my freezer / pantry at
all times, so this was all easy and I
didn't have to do ANY shopping to prep
for this stuff.

First up?


5 servings of pork tenderloin, brown rice and 
home made baked beans.
I actually cooked the tenderloin and rice on
Wednesday while I was "in a meeting" on Zoom.
The tenderloin went in the pressure cooker with a
can of stevia sweetened Ginger Beer for FIVE MINUTES
and the rice went into the rice cooker on the counter.

The baked beans cooked on the stove today for
about 35 minutes while I was cutting up the pork
(Rod doesn't take a knife to work so prefers to
have his meats pre-cut...) and getting the breakfast stuff
ready to go in the oven.


So... Meal #1 - Pork Tenderloin & rice & baked beans.

On to the next one...


Rod really likes those jalapeno cheddar smoked sausages.
So there are 5 servings of sausage and various veggies.
(Notice the blue labels - painter's tape STICKS in the freezer!)

On to meal choice #3...


I make a lasagna casserole in my pressure cooker
that Rod really enjoys and it's SOOO easy!
Browned a package of hamburger on saute mode
(in the pressure cooker) (I thawed 2 packages
in the microwave for various recipes) and then
added a jar of sugar free pizza sauce, 
a jar of water, and a box of penne pasta.
(I usually use elbow mac, but they have been
out of my Dreamfields brand for several weeks.)
Cook in the pressure cooker for THREE minutes
while mixing most of a tub of fat free cottage cheese
with half a bag of mozzarella cheese and 1 egg.
When the pressure cooker is done, quick release and
stir in the cheese mixture.
Done! 
 
Soooo tasty!

NEXT!


Blackened chicken and black beans with mango.
A skillet dinner we really like.
And another easy one.
When I buy chicken breasts, I cut them into
bite sized pieces and put them in bags in the freezer.
So I only had to grab a bag of chicken chunks,
a bag of black beans (I do a big batch in my
pressure cooker once in awhile and bag them up too)
today I used fresh mango because I had it
but I usually add a frozen bag,
some frozen "seasoning mix" (onions, peppers, celery)
a bunch of lime juice (bottle)
and some onion and garlic powder and chili powder.
Let it cook together for a couple of minutes.
And there's another meal ready to go!

And Meal #5...


Another of Rod's favorites... Cowboy Grub.
Brown the burger, add seasoning mix, a bag each of frozen corn,
black beans, riced cauliflower. a can of diced tomatoes
and a can of mild rotel (tomatoes & chilis).
Today I added the little bit of brown rice
I had left over from the pork meal but I usually don't.
Pressure cook for THREE minutes just to mix the flavors.

So that's TWENTY FIVE meals he can grab and go
for lunches and dinners!


And of course then there was breakfast.


While the pressure cooker and stove were busy doing
their thing, I had two 9x13 pans on the oven.
One with Giant Blueberry Pancake and
one with German Pancake.
Each pan makes 8 servings.
Grab a hunk, pour some maple syrup on it,
make a chocolate protein milk and you are good to go.

Grand total 25 lunch / dinner meals
and 16 breakfast meals.
It took about 3 hours.

Tomorrow I MIGHT make some carrot cake
and knock off payday candies.
But that remains to be seen...
(grin)

Now I can leave and know my man is well 
taken care of.
And seeing how easy it was, I think I'm 
going to do it more often.
It will be nice to have "TV dinners" in the
freezer for the weekends I'm out of town
(if I ever get to start teaching again)
and also for the evenings when I'm locked
in the Zoom Room teaching here until either
9 or 10 at night.

But for now?
I'm sitting on the couch with my feet up.
Ha!

No comments: