Monday, September 23, 2024

Backyard Garden Update

 I have been laying in bed,
re-reading some of my recent
blog posts.
I'm so glad I do these...... it reminds me
of things I have forgotten.

For example, I FORGOT I put about
5 quart jars of tomato puree in the fridge!
(That shows you how stuffed our fridge
is right now, eh?  LOL)

Guess I'd better do something about that.
However, I just put 9 trays of apples
in the freezer for the machine yesterday.
So I don't have any trays to put
the tomato on (again).
I guess its time to order another set.

Anyhow.

I was looking at the pictures of the gardens.


This was September 4.


And  THIS is September 21.
You couldn't even SEE the carrots in the previous picture.
This is from the opposite angle.
Those are the carrots in the first bed.
Mixed colors are closest to us.
In the center are the traditional orange.
Not looking amazing.
But on the far side are purple and they are
going gangbusters!

And the giant things in the far bed are 
the PEAS! 
They are doing great, no flowers yet,
but I'm hoping to start seeing some soon.....

And, of course, to the right are the beans.
Yesterday I saw some tiny little baby beans
on some of the plants, so we should be eating
fresh beans by the end of the week.
(The ones from the farm weren't all that good...)
Same kind of bean, but they struggled so much
that the beans just tasted "old".
So I'm excited to get these ones.
I found the big strainer pots that go
in my big soup pot so I can blanch these
and get them in freezer bags for over
the winter.

(Oh goodie... another project!)
HAHA.

Ok.
I better get out of bed and get breakfast
made and eaten so I can run into town
and get some more pickling spice and 
other stuff for the week.
And then get back home and get those
pickles in the oven.

I forgot to take a picture, but on Saturday
I did 4 pint jars of pickled okra!
(Would have done more, but I ran out
of pickling spice...)

Last night for dinner we had another
yummy roast from the pressure cooker
and some rice and lemon cucumbers.

And I BAKED AN APPLE PIE!!!!
Kyle and I sliced and froze all those
Jonnathan apples I got last Saturday
(it's just been a busy busy week)
and I bought (yes, bought) a Pillsbury
pie crust at our local grocery store on
Saturday, so I did a "rustic" pie/tart
thing. Just laid out the crust,
piled some apples with spices, brown
sugar, and a little flour mixed in,
then folded the edges up and put some
dollops of butter on top and baked it.
It was yummy!
We each had a slice when it came out
of the oven and ate the rest of it for
desert after dinner.

Ok.
Now I REALLY need to get the day going.

Happy Monday y'all!
And SAFE TRAVELS Rozann and Greg!

No comments: