Thursday, March 22, 2012

Hiding?

You'd think I was hiding - but really, I was just busy.  (And my extended family is out of town, so I didn't think they were looking... LOL)

This past weekend was my 4-day school up in Orlando.  I got to train another new instructor, which is always fun!  I love teaching new teachers... (and it's awesome that they do all my admin stuff for me... lol)

Anyhow - when I got to school on Friday morning (which was an adventure in and of itself...)  I had to stay at a different hotel since my usual place was booked solid.  (Spring Break in Florida...)  Since this is only the third time I've ever taught at this location, I wasn't really familiar with the area or where I was going.  (Yah yah yah, we all know I'm directionally challenged, which is why my Darling Husband bought me a GPS several years ago... unfortunately, Dorothy {GPS} also sometimes suffers from the same malady!)  This was one of those mornings.  She suggested (she's "so polite") I turn RIGHT out of the parking lot (the school is to the left...) but I followed her suggestion.  Next you know she has me on a toll road going AROUND the school, past it and doubling back!  Sheesh!  ETA - 18 minutes. 

Now, the school and the hotel are ON THE SAME ROAD.  But she actually had me on TWO DIFFERENT toll roads!  (And my Epass transponder battery died on the way up, so I was having to go through the cash lanes... sigh.)  So.....  I was late.

Anyhow (again) when I finally arrived (I called the other instructor to let her know so she didn't panic - I wasn't VERY late - only about 4 minutes, but I wanted to be EARLY...)  and we got to meet for the first time, she looked VERY familiar.  It only took a few minutes, but I realized she was the daughter of an RVP (Regional Vice President) I substitute taught for several times several years ago!  In addition - when she originally got her license (10 years ago) she went through MY class!  (I remember her and actually talk about her in my lecture!  LOL)  She made an impression because she was NOT enthused about being there (she was with her brother who was much more on point...) as she was "in the fashion industry".  She was only there because her parents told her to.  (As an RVP you are a business owner and can actually "will" your business to your heirs, but they must be licensed...) 

In the years between, she married, moved to Portland, started her own fashion business, sold her business, divorced and recently moved back to Orlando.  Full circle.  And now she is teaching the class!  She was equally unenthused about teaching - but her Mom insisted she should at least give it a try...  By the end of the first five hours, she was much more excited.  Class has changed A LOT (and so has she...) and we are able to be much more flexible and fun.  (And I like to think I've improved as a teacher over the years.)

Anyhow (some more) when school was over for the day, I turned OFF the GPS and just headed up the road.  I pulled into my hotel parking lot in 8 minutes FLAT.  Woot woot!  (And no tolls...)  There was a Logans Steakhouse in the parking lot, so I just walked over and helped myself to a 6 oz filet mignon with bleu cheese crumbles, a baked sweet potato and some of the best grilled mushrooms of my entire life!  (I only ate 3 oz of the steak - too much meat for me...)

The rest of the weekend passed pretty uneventfully.  We only had 15 students (last month we had 27) but they were quality folks and all passed but the one gentleman who speaks Dutch as his first language and was having a real challenge with the English.  (And he only missed by 4 questions...) 

On the way back to the hotel Saturday evening, I stopped at Lowe's and got the battery changed in my transponder so I could get home.  And stopped at a WalMart to get some batteries for my wireless mouse and a new Wite-Out for all those little boo boos in life. 

Sunday evening I realized I was passing over the same road the temple is located on, so I gave Dorothy a second chance, turned her on, and had her guide me over there.  It was SO nice to just be in the neighborhood.  Naturally it was closed and all the gates were shut, but I pulled over for a few minutes and just basked in the Spirit that resides there.  I tried to take a couple of pictures, but the trees were blocking the view. 


 


Monday I spent the day teaching with one part of my brain, but thinking about Rod with the other half.  (Luckily I've been teaching the same stuff for 12+ years now, so I can do stuff like that... lol)  It was his first day on his new job - out training with his trainer John.  (Same name as his trainer when he started with KLLM - a good omen...)  For the first day, John just had him "watch" - Tuesday John stood back and let Rod take over.  There are a gazillion steps, and they have to be done in the exact order - so there's lots to learn - but Rod is excited to be doing something a little different.

For the next two weeks he is driving from 5 am to 5 pm (although it's been closer to 6 by the time they are done) so between going to bed by 8:30 and up at 4, I haven't seen a lot of him.  But then he'll get his own truck/route and will be working 4pm to 4am.  But he will get TWO WHOLE DAYS OFF each week!  That's pretty exciting!  I still work 29 days out of each month, but at least I'll be able to stay home in the morning and spend some time with him - or go in early and get home early and spend the afternoon/evening with him.  Either way...

So... in a nut shell.  Life continues to be wonderful here in Paradise.  Hope it's going well for you too!

No comments: