Thursday, October 5, 2017

Story - What Was One of Your Favorite Children's Stories

Ooooooooooh, stories!

We were a story reading / telling family.
And we all loved it!

MY favorites were very specific.

#1 Favorite:  Mufty Mouser Goes to School

I was little. I was sick. Measles maybe?
I just remember being sick enough that I
was in Mom and Dad's bed and
Dr. Medlicott (isn't that the BEST dr name?)
came to the house to see me!

My Dad brought home a book just for me.
All about a little girl mouse named
Mufty Mouser.
I made them read it to me so many times
that my nickname became Mufty Mouser,
although I often went by just Mufty or Muff.

#2 Favorite:  Three Billy Goats Gruff
(The World Book Story Book edition)
(green spine?)

I remember sitting on the couch in the
front room with Sondra 
having her read that to me.
A billion times.
Enough that her nickname for me
became Mufty Gruff.

(And of course I married Rod and became
Mufty Gruff Buff!)

I guess I'm not one for a lot of variety.
(Although I was a voracious reader and
eventually had a "nest" in the space under 
the stairs complete with a sleeping bag,
pillows, and a little lamp.  (And a really
long extension chord...)

I still love to re-read my special favorites.
At least annually.
Jane Eyre - Merrill Atkey introduced me to Jane.
I was sick (again).  She brought it over for me
to read and I fell in love.

Lord of the Rings - Sondra hooked me in to
that one by reading out loud in Gollum's voice
and then trading and having me read to her.
We were laying on her bed in her basement
room - she fell asleep while I was reading to her,
but by then it was too late - I was hooked and
had to read the whole thing.

The Robe - I "borrowed" it from the library.
I never returned it.
(I lost it a couple of years ago,
and found another Ancient copy on Amazon
and immediately bought it.)
I was sick.  (hahahahahaha) and put Nancy's
George Harrison's "Dark Horse" on the record
player on repeat.
The Robe will forever have the sound track
of Hare Krishna chanting in the background.
(WEIRD, I know...)
Mom finally came and closed my door.
(hahahahahahahaha - sorry Mom!)

Hunger Games - I know.  I'm a 14 year old girl.
I wasn't sick!!!!!
I was on vacation, staying in Rozann's
AWESOME casita.
I read the entire series.
With the Piano Guys on repeat on my iPod.
So yup, they are permanently matched in my head.
There are certain Piano Guys songs that 
when I hear them, I have a most compelling
urge to whip out my Kindle and read
them again.

1 comment:

rktucson said...

This post was awesome! You will have the very BEST journal for your posterity (and the rest of us!) to read.