Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Meatballs!

I gotta be honest.
I have NEVER made a meatball in my life.

I'm not ... lazy ... exactly.
I'm just ... disinterested.
I have the attention span of a gnat
when it comes to cooking.
If it takes more than 20 minutes (hands on)
or has more than about 5 ingredients...
I'm OUT.

The thought of standing there,
rolling the meatballs,
then standing there,
frying them, 
(I hate frying meat - turning it,
browning it... my meat is NEVER
browned on all 4 sides... I lost interest
somewhere halfway through the 2nd side...)

So yesterday I made meatballs.
One of my favorite THM bloggers
posted a recipe for porcupine meatballs
IN THE PRESSURE COOKER!!!

Because we don't really use white rice
and we would never put rice and ground beef
together in a meal (fats AND carbs together
equals weight gain. No no no no!)
So she used cauliflower rice.
I do that ALL THE TIME and it's yumm!!!
I actually like it better than rice.

Anyhow.
I have lots of frozen cauli-rice.
But I also have that beautiful tub of
suntanned mushrooms from yesterday.

Rod.
Stop reading.
Hahahahaha

For several months now, whenever I
make anything with ground beef
I put some suntanned mushrooms in my
food processor and grind them up
TEENY TINY.
And then I mix them into the raw
ground beef and proceed with the recipe.

It extends my beef and makes it 
super moist and you can't even taste it!
(except yesterday, for some reason
they wouldn't cut down as small as I
wanted them so there were a couple of
bigger chunks which I could taste...)
(But I could have totally kept processing...
see above ... lol)

Anyhow.

I followed "most" of her recipe.
Except I didn't use the "rice".
And I used dried minced onions
because... well... see above.

You put a can of tomato sauce,
some Worcestershire sauce,
some garlic and some other spices
into the pressure cooker.
Then I used a COOKIE SCOOP
(looks like an ice cream scoop)
and made the balls!
I was wearing those cheap plastic gloves
so it was easy and not gross to then
sort of roll them...
then they go STRAIGHT into the
pressure cooker sauce stuff.
Cooked them for 15 minutes.
Let them naturally pressure release
and then put one on a hamburger bun.

They were perfectly cooked
and nice and tender.
I "smashed" it a little and then 
dipped it in the "juice".
I was going to turn it on to saute' and
reduce it (with a little xanthan gum to
help thicken it) but I was HUNGRY.
Next time I will.
The sauce was amazingly delicious!

I'm HOOKED!

After cooking hard boiled eggs,
sweet potatoes,
and meatballs
(with a quick wash between each)
my pressure cooker liner and lid
went into the dishwasher for a good
thorough clean.
(And a day off.)

No pictures.
Sorry!
I'm not a food blogger.
Just a lazy excited cook. 

No comments: