Friday, December 27, 2019

Friday Fun

So... we woke up to rain.
Which isn't conducive to working
with electricity outside.

So we have been watching YouTubes.
(Rod at the kitchen table on his new laptop
and me in the living room, on my iPad and/or
on the TV... depending on what I'm watching.)

And then I put on my cute apron
(thanks again Rozann!)
it always inspires me.

I watched a THM video on making
"Wonder Wraps" for about the gazillioneth time.
They are really simple, delicious homemade
tortilla replacements that I have been wanting
to try for about 4 years, but have been too 
scared to try... I was afraid they would taste
gross and be hard to make.

But I got down my big flat electric griddle
(that I bought nearly TWO YEARS AGO
specifically for making Wonder Wraps but
then never did...), watched the video 
one more time... and then gave it a go.

And they are DELICIOUS!
They are actually pretty simple... just takes a
little practice getting them to go in a circle.
I had everything I needed in my pantry...
1 Cup egg whites (I have a carton that needs used up)
1/8 cup whole psyllium husk (yup, the same stuff
that's in that orange fiber drink...)
1/8 cup nutritional yeast
1/8 cup green can parm cheese
2 pinches pink salt
and a couple splashes of Pete's hot sauce.

I discovered (thanks to a handy dandy cheat sheet
I found online and printed out and put in my
THM binder a couple of weeks ago)
that the "coffee scoop" that came with my
latest set of measuring cups is 1/8 cup!
How handy is THAT???

Anyhow.

Mix everything together with a wisk while
the griddle is heating (I used 350 because they
didn't say, but did say their's was "screaming hot"...)
and then spoon out 3 soup spoons in a puddle.
Then using the back of the spoon, spread it out
in every increasing circles until its pretty thin
and (in theory) round.
We have square, oblong, oval and ONE circle!
Let cook til it look "dry" and then flip.
The whole gig took about 10 minutes.

And then I pulled out the left over ham and
Rod and I made ham/cheese/mustard/mayo/lettuce/cheese
wraps with them.
We really liked them!
And the best part is I made 10 wraps for about
$.89.  I get a package of 8 low carb wraps
at WalMart for $4.50!!!
(And these are way better!)

WIN!

So anyhow, I was looking at that big ol'
ham bone and decided it was time to pull
the last of the meat off it.
And then there was that bone.
And I happen to have a bag of split peas
in my bean stash in my pantry.

So I pulled out my cook little veggie chopper thing


and chopped up 2 celery ribs, 2 carrots,
and an onion. It takes longer to peel the
carrots than it did to chop up everything.
And no tears.

Popped those into the pressure cooker with some
butter on "saute" mode and softened them,
then dumped in a pound of peas, my ham bone,
some pepper and a big box (6 cups) of chicken broth.
Set it for FIFTEEN MINUTES!
Can you believe it???

I let it naturally pressure release for 15 more minutes
and then after pulling out the bone, I hit it with
my stick blender cuz I don't want chunks of stuff
in my soup. (Didn't blend it all the way smooth,
just about 2/3...) and then chopped up some more
ham really fine and dumped that in.

In a grand total of 45 minutes I have a big pot
of REALLY DELICIOUS ham and split pea soup
that tastes like its been simmering on the stove
for... HOURS.

And now Rod and I are heading into town to
Gordon's restaurant supply house to get a couple
of those really LONG pancake turner things
to make flipping the wonder wraps easier.

I'm having so much fun!
Guess I should take off my apron though.

(Who is this person??? She COOKS?)

No comments: