Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Eeeeuuuuwww BUGS!

We've been getting lots of rain.
Chris put on his FB page 
"where did the monsoons go???"
We found them.
Ha!

Anyhow.
Along with rain (and nice green pastures)
comes BUGS!


We ordered 3 of these nifty fly traps.
This one is hanging outside the ducks/chicks/rabbits.


That's a LOT of flies!!!

There is one next to the cow feeder and
another one in the feed room.
Neither of those are seeing much action right now.
But this one is FLY CENTRAL!


Plus you can't really see it,
but each of those little grey specs are
TADPOLES!

We are fixin' to have a Moses Plague up in here y'all!
I have to wait til the cows drink this one down
so I can dump it.
But it keeps RAINING.
And then it fills back up again.

I guess its better than it being filled with
mosquito larvae which it does sometimes too...
but I imagine the tadpoles are eating those.
So there IS a silver lining.
(There nearly always is, if you bother to look...)

AND there was the thunder.

(I was just outside, moving more dirt into the
new raised beds and talking on the phone to Kyle
who is making the first of many runs up/back to 
the ranch to take equipment up there in preparation
for him moving back up next week...
but then it started raining.)

It has been a busy day.
Started at 7:30 this morning moving dirt.
Got one raised bed done.
(that's 1 yard of dirt...)
Then I was feeding the animals when Dan (my boss)
called wanting to know if I knew who was supposed
to be teaching the Wed morning Zoom Review this morning.
I knew it was Lawrence - who is ALWAYS on top
of everything - so if he wasn't on there when he
was supposed to be - there was something MAJOR wrong.

I dashed into the house to start the Zoom while he was
looking into what was going on.
Grabbed a shirt and ran a brush through my hair
and quickly hopped on the Zoom.
Lawrence WAS there.
But there is this GIANT ORANGE BANNER
running across the top of his screen that says
"Practice session only - click the Broadcast button to go live."

He has been sitting there for nearly an hour.
Looking at the orange banner.
Wondering where all his students were.
Teaching... to himself... 

I hopped on, immediately saw the banner,
unmuted myself and told him about it.
Dan was also "in the room".
We all started laughing.
Poor Lawrence!
He is a great man, good teacher, NOT techy.

Anyhow.

Crisis averted.
Back out to finish feeding the animals,
inside to feed the dogs,
hop in the shower and dash to the Town.

Worked for 45 minutes on a project - still not
working the way I want it to... and then the day's
webinar started. We learned some more good stuff
today - and when it was done we spent another 15 
minutes messing around and then I dashed out to
my car to run to the DMV to re-new Rod's registration
on his car and our trailers.
I had an appointment and it STILL took 45 minutes!

Then to WalMart to buy Rod some toothpaste, 
more dog food and some D3 pills.

Back to the house - as I pulled into the driveway,
Kyle called. I put all the stuff away while we 
chatted and I changed my clothes and headed out
to move dirt. But it started to rain.
And Rod came home, so I hung up with Kyle
and visited with Rod for a few minutes while
I did some more stuff around the kitchen,
then Kyle called again and I headed out to gather
the eggs, let the chickens out, and start 
moving dirt again.
(It didn't really rain the first time, just
started spitting and then stopped...)
I got about 1/3 of the dirt moved into the bed
and then it started to RAIN!
(And Kyle went into the truck stop to get
him a Subway sandwich...)

And now I'm here, sitting in the ZoomRoom,
writing a blog, talking to Rod about the meat
distribution we are doing Monday
and getting ready to spend 2 hours emailing
future students.

Whew!

No comments: