Friday, August 7, 2020

Oops

 Oops!

Guess I got busy there...

Grrrrrrrrr..... Blogger has made another change and now I'm getting double space whether I want it or not. And I don't.

Whatever.

Anyhow.

We started the week with a "spur of the moment" trip up to the ranch to pick up a couple of calves that Kyle's neighbor up there was selling. He was going to load them all up and take them to the sale barn, but if we wanted to give him "market price" he would sell them to us instead.

Unfortunately for him, "market price" right now is ROCK BOTTOM.

Now is a TERRIBLE time to be selling cattle.

But a great time to buy them!

So we picked up two really nice little steers who have been "on their Mommas" until Saturday... they were both born in January-ish so they have gotten a good start to life. 

Travis (Gina's cowboy up at the ranch) picked them up and ran them across the scales. One was 535# and the other was 555#, so a good start! (I think our last two were probably in the 250# range...)

They were a little more expensive, but because they are older, we should be able to keep them (and feed them) for a much shorter time - which will save us $$$ in the long run.

Anyhow.

Introducing "Red" and "Baldy".

They are a bit skittish, but have already learned where the food is served and are pretty vocal about "WHERE IS MINE" when I'm feeding the horses. (The horses get fed first because Andy will slap the gate with his hoof (LOUDLY) until I let him in the barn and it drives me NUTS...)

It was a good trip - up and back - and then I worked at the Town on Tuesday.

And spent Wednesday catching up on my house chores that I didn't do on Monday.

Worked again on Thursday and taught a 2 hour Zoom class last night.

This morning I have been doing lots of "behind the scenes" typing and emailing for my classes and then I'm teaching a 4-hour Zoom class tonight.

Whew!

Also, Kyle came and woke me up at 1:00 this morning so we could stand on the patio and watch another SpaceX launch. We LOVE the night launches. It was kind of cloudy, so we didn't get as clear a view as we had hoped, but it was still fun!

And the garden is looking really good.

All the little seedlings Kyle planted in his tray have come up. We were a little worried about the Marconi Red Peppers, they were SLOW to germinate, but they are starting to pop their little heads out now, so he's happy.

He bought a couple more trays and planted some last night while he was waiting for the launch. Our garden is going to be FULL of yummy produce this fall/winter season! And there are TONS of extra starts that he plans to give to Jim for his garden...

The okra is growing! I can't wait to start harvesting tons and bunches of okra... but I guess I will HAVE to wait because they won't start setting fruit until September.

Sigh.



That's about it... Hope you are having a wonderful week!





No comments: