Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Lilacs

 Lilacs have ALWAYS been my favorite flower.

I loved the lilac bushes at the Haverhill house.

I bought some silk lilacs about 35 years ago
and they have been in the bathroom here
for the last 19 years.

Now that the house has minimal stuff in it
(and the shelf they were on is in Kansas)
they are on my kitchen table.


Actually, they were on my desk in my zoom room.
But now that the room is under construction,
they got moved to the kitchen.

Speaking of which, we had a guy come to measure
the floor and we have an appointment in the next 
2 weeks I think, to have carpet put in that room.

I hope it will look nice.
And I'd like to move my office back in there.
It will look better than just having an empty room.
And it looks funny having it in Rod's office.

Anyhow.... I digress.

Kyle sent me a text today.


Home Depot was putting out their spring plants.
YEA!!!
I told him to buy me 4.
I want to put a lilac bush on each end of the little
front porch, and maybe one in the backyard
outside our bedroom window...
and maybe another ... by the garage?
Or he could put one next to his new house?

Anyhow.

I was excited.
I knew they would grow there, 
but I thought I would have to order them online
or something like that.

Meanwhile, I've been having trouble with
our internet - I keep getting a
"your connection is unstable" message while
I'm trying to teach and my screen often
freezes, or my pen won't write or something...
I spent a couple hours on the phone with
Spectrum last week and they tested everything
and said it was all in perfect working order.
But we all know electronics have a
"shelf life". The modem and router are
about 3 years old which is old for electronics.

So.

This morning I made an appointment and boxed
them all up and took them in to get them 
switched for a new set.
(Kyle and I went last week but there were
about 90,672 people waiting... so we left.)

I got all new equipment for free.
It was a busy morning.

I left the house about 10.
Went to the Town to fax some info to 
the Social Security office for Rod's 
upcoming retirement.
Then to WalMart to grab some stuff for
this weekend while I'm out of town,
then back to the house to put it away,
then over town to the Spectrum office for my
12:00 appointment. I got there about 10 minutes
early and was out of there by 12:03.
Then over to the church.
I was a early for my 1:00 appointment, so I hooked up my computer
and printer and created this week's bulletin.
Then at 1:00 the NEW Ward Bulletin Coordinator
came in and I showed her how I do the bulletin,
how to make the copies, and where to stash
them so they can be given out on Sunday morning.

Then back home just in time for the carpet
guy to call and say he was ahead of schedule
and could he come early.
So he came and did his thing,
then I got the quote, agreed to it and paid for it,
then the installer called and we made the
appointment for the 13th (or the 16th, I can't
remember which) for when the carpet will
arrive at his place and then he will call
again to make the installation appointment.

THEN I sat down on the couch and took a little nap,
and at 5:30 I set up my evening zoom.

Except I only had 2 students.
At the 7:00 break I went into the kitchen
and fed my sour dough starter in preparation
for baking a loaf for Rod to eat over the weekend.
Then I taught until about 7:20 when both my
students logged off.
Class goes until 10.
I stayed online until 8:00 in case they came back.
But they didn't.
So I'm writing my blog
and then I'm going to put some chili in the
pressure cooker and go read a book.

Except I just got a text from Kyle.


Looks like he finished painting the walls white
and put another coat of white on the doors and
the surrounds.
And then he tried painting one of the handles black.
Which one do YOU prefer?
I LOVE the look of the black handle.
But I've always been partial to black metal accents.

Anyhow.
He's been BUSY.
It's COLD up there so he's staying inside and getting
lots and lots of painting done.
It's supposed to snow on Friday and rain on Saturday,
but the weather should clear up on Sunday, 
so I imagine he might head home Sunday or Monday.
But we'll see.

No comments: