Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Home Sweet Home (Nearly)

The guys are working on making the girls a new home.
And it is AWESOME!!! 

A boy and his drill
This is the "house" end.  The big opening is a "man door" so we can get in there and do whatever needs doing.  It will be solid and have a racoon proof lock.

If you look closely, you can see the little perch/stairs leading up to the nesting box
 It's going to have that "double roof" thing like my barn does.  (The neighbor's coop has a flat roof, so we had to make our's cooler!)  (And his roof is looking pretty darn rough - what with water ponding on it and all...)

See... double roof.  It has a name, but I can't remember it - from my old architect days...  Gary????


The food and water will hang suspended from the roof in the "porch" portion.
That way they can't accidentally tip them over.


A TERRIBLE picture, but that is where we left it because of impending NIGHT.

I only have pictures of one guy working on it - cuz by the time I got home, the other guy was out making money.  (So we could afford to FEED the girls...)

(It's symbiotic.  We feed them for several months and then they will feed US for the rest of their productive little lives...  All's fair, right?)

I participated.  I carried out two 16' boards.  And I read (out loud) the last of The Hunger Games 2.  (And then we went inside and I started The Hunger Games 3.)  Poor Kyle.  "Geez!  Just when it starts to get good, you have to go to BED!"  (It's tough have an OLD LADY for a Mom...  LOL)

UPDATE!  Kyle hurt his foot and so took the day off from work.  Instead he is working on the chicken coop!  What a GUY!  (Rod woke up and snapped this and sent it to me....)



Notice the nesting box on the left side.  It will have a hinged door to get to the eggs.  (Come on August!)

Ozzie!  YOU ARE NOT A CHICKEN!  (We caught him sleeping in the old chicken coop/dog crate
on the pool table last night!!!  He really wants to be a chicken.  Or... you know...  lol)

No comments: