Sunday, May 27, 2012

Memories Of Montez (Sister Cooper)

I talked to Mom this afternoon on my way home from teaching a review class in South Florida.

She and Dad were at the hospice sitting with Montez and her husband Jim.

Brother and Sister Cooper are some pretty amazing people.  I spent the rest of the trip home remembering some of the special things about them.  

When I was a young teenager, I used to walk to their house (about half way between our house and Wisewood - the high school... not THAT far...) and "borrow" their beautiful boxer Stacy.  I would get her leash and take her for a walk - practicing her "heel" and "hold" commands.  Since her name was Stacy, you couldn't tell her to "stay"... too confusing for her.  So we taught her to Hold.  I've always loved the name Stacy.  In fact, if Jim had been a girl, his name would have been Stacey Anne.  (No, not after the dog...  I just love the name...)  I'm sure it was a hassle having an animal crazy girl "borrowing" your dog, but they never let on...

And Sister Cooper introduced me to my first canape!  (Ok, Vicki Sadowick's Mom made peanut butter on crustless white bread and wrapped it around a whole banana - sliced in "nickels" and served while watching old Elvis movies in the basement...)  However, Sister Cooper's was Fancy!  She invited my entire Mutual class over for a luncheon.  The only thing I remember is she wrapped a thin slice of ham around a spear of chilled asparagus and a baby finger of cheddar cheese.  Stabbed the whole deal with a toothpick.  Highfalutin' noshing, that.  And completely in a different league from a peanut butter and banana disc.  Either I'm anti-social, or just incredibly busy, but I almost never have anyone over.  But I do make those fancy nummies for myself now and again.  (And the pbb nickels for Kyle - he loves 'em)

The Coopers daughter, Marla, and Sondra were great friends!  So when their family went to Mexico, they generously took Soni with them!  And she came home with a two piece "bikini" with a padded hand print on the back of the butt.  Major! Scandal!    (But Super Cute!)

Nancy and the Cooper's son Kendall were part of a gaggle of kids in the ward that had a great time together.  One summer a bunch of the ward families went to the lake together.  (Shueshwap?)  (Yah, I'm sure that's not how you spell it...)  It was a great week.  Lots of swimming, boating, water skiing, and weenie roasts around the communal fire pit.  I remember one afternoon the ladies were all sitting around the camp chatting.  Some of the men had decided that since it was vacation, they weren't going to shave.  I can't remember it if was Sister Cooper or Sister Johnston, but one of them told the others, emphatically, that she insisted he shave.  She told him "it's like kissing a hair brush!"  I remember thinking "Eeeeeeeeuuuuuwwww!  Kissing!  Hello... there are CHILDREN present!"

Coopers were an important part of our ward and our family's history.  Sister Cooper will be missed.  She set such a terrific example for me and shared so much of herself with others.  She has certainly earned a "Well done my good and faithful servant".

We love you Sister Cooper!  God Speed.

No comments: