Sunday, March 31, 2013

Happy Easter

Happy Easter!

I hope today finds everyone well and happy.
Especially my sister, Nancy.
She had some surgery Friday morning.
Mom says it went well.

Hopefully she'll be back in the saddle again soon.

Nancy and her new horse, Diego

I got to take Andy for a short ride on Saturday.
I'm loving this "semi-retired" stuff! 

We got LOTS accomplished.
Fed the animals, then Rod left to get Pop Pop and pick up an older
flat bed trailer from the shop.

I took Andy out and was just coming down the road as they were getting home.
Headed over to town to get the week's groceries.
Needed to go to both WalMart and Aldi's.
Then back to put it all away and bake some bacon for Pop's BLT he requested.

After lunch Rod took Dad back up to Cocoa while he helped Scott
move the old blue box van to the new warehouse.
And I went outside and clipped Andy.

Talk about covered in hair!
I'm not sure who was furrier - him or me!

Kyle got there just as I was starting so he sat on Andy's stall wall
and visited while I clipped.
Then we headed next door to do his evening chores.

Sadly, we ran over one of the chickens moving a coop.
(The coops are falling apart and the chickens don't cooperate very well...)
She was, surprisingly, not dead!
Thought she was!
But nope, just broken.
Broken leg for sure, possibly broken or dislocated wing.

So we brought her home and stuck her in Rocky's old coop.
(Rocky is the Barred Rock we accidentally ran over last year...)

Just put her on the ground, gave her some water, and wished her luck.

Fed our horses, bunnies and chickens,
let the bunnies out to run around in the coop,
gathered eggs - we are up to 18!
Then I made some steak and corn on the cob for dinner.

This morning when I went out to feed, I checked on the broken chicken.
She was gone.
I was a little concerned, cuz that means we have a predator getting in the pasture at night.
But when I looked a little closer, she was up in a nest box!
(She is a black chicken and it's dark up there...)
So I guess she's not TOO broken.

But the other chickens weren't very happy to not have access to their favorite nest box.
So after going next door with Kyle and moving all the coops again
and feeding his chickens and pigs,
we came home and moved her to the middle coop where she can be alone.

She'll either get better or not.
But you gotta give her a chance.

Her name is Broken Chicken.

Anyhow... here's to new beginnings!
Happy Easter Everybody!

No comments: