Monday, July 15, 2013

Chickies Have Landed! UPDATED

21 days ago I set 12 eggs under my broody hen, Mama.

One of them got cracked and I'm pretty sure she ate it.

Then a week or so later, she decided the blue egg wasn't viable
and she kicked it out of the nest.

I let the rest of the flock have it.

So then we were down to 10.

Today was the day I was hoping to have babies.

When I checked this morning, there was nothing new going on in the nest box.
But when I got home from work tonight...

Mama had moved out of the nest box and down to the floor.
There were a bunch of broken eggs in the nest box.
1 egg was pipped and the baby was partially out.
Peeping like crazy, but the membranes had dried
and she was "shrink wrapped" in them.

Without help, she would die for sure.
So I pried the membranes off her.
Hopefully she'll be ok.
She was pretty weak,
but peeping and peeping.
She was determined.
It took her about 30 minutes, but she 
FINALLY made it under Mama.

Introducing - the babies!



There are 2 eggs left in the nest.
Not much chance they'll do anything....

So - we have 8.
I hope.

They are a variety of breeds,
so they all look different.

I'll be anxious to see what we have.
What breeds.
What sexes.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

All 8 are looking spunky this morning!
"Shrinky" isn't even identifiable.
Yea chicks!

And I have another black hen who looks like she wants to go broody.
I'll watch her for a few days to see if she's serious,
but this morning I got in touch with my egg lady
to see if she will hold back a bunch of blue eggs for me.

I'm gonna get me some Easter Eggers YET!

2 comments:

Rozann said...

man, black chickens? Don't they get hot? LoL
The chicks are cute. Such fun! sam has a broody chicken too. I think she hatched a few - not 8 though. 3 or 4 i think. Anyway, congrats Grandma! lol

Collette said...

Thanks! LOL They are fun...