Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Grandma Hanna

There was sort of a recurring theme
this year for Christmas.

That theme was Grandma Hanna.

Mom sent me a wonderful surprise.

Yes, it's upside down, but it hangs on
a pin, so when you look down,
you can tell the time!

This was Grandma's watch
some 40 years ago.

It came with it's own story!


Dear Collette:
This little watch has an interesting history.  It
belonged to Grandma Hanna in the 1970's.
Later in the '90's she decided it was a neat item
 and she'd like to wear it again, so she took it to a 
jeweler in Butte for a new battery.
He very kindly suggested 
"Let's just wind it up!"
Hope you enjoy having it.
Love,
Mom

Isn't that a great story?
Unfortunately, simply winding doesn't
seem to do the trick anymore,
so I'll be taking it to a watch repair
to see if they can get it working again.
I'd LOVE to wear it when I teach!

Meanwhile,
I wanted to send something special
to Mom and each of my sisters.

I was looking in my cabinet and
spied just the thing!


Some of Grandma's recipe cards!
In her handwriting.
And obviously well loved.


I went through and found 4 that
were written on matching little cards.
(Not that it mattered, since I
was sending them to 4 different houses)
Then I found 4 little black frames
and some dark grey paper to
mount them on.


I think they turned out cute!
(Rod scanned them for me,
so some day I might make
a complete set for MY kitchen!)

On top of being a fun gift,
they cleared up a mystery!

Mom KNEW she had Grandma's recipe box.
She had looked EVERYWHERE!
Who had snagged it?


I've got it!
I've even featured it in a couple of blog posts.
I LOVE it!
(But I didn't snag it, Mom gave it to 
me when we were both packing to leave Tucson.)

A year or so ago I took out 
Grandma's recipe cards
and now it is chock full of the recipes
that I use for my family.

It sits in a place of honor on my
kitchen counter.
I use it daily.

I think Grandma would approve.

LOVE YOU GRANDMA!

1 comment:

Rozann said...

i totally LOVE mine! Thanks so much. you are so thoughtful!