Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Irma 9-12 Update

Whew!

I tried to stay in touch with family
via text and facebook
throughout the day.

But decided we should really keep a record
here, since this is kind of my journal.

First off.
All is well.
I am at the office this morning.
(Blogging is SO much easier on my ergonomic
"wave" keyboard on my one computer
where I know where everything is!)

Driving in to work this morning was
actually nice!
I left a little early and the roads were
nice and clear with light traffic.
South bound was getting heavier, but
nobody was heading north!

My normal country music radio station
was coming in and out, so I switched
to the oldies station I use as my
mid-way station on my way down south to school.

They were completely off the air.

So then it was to my oldies rock station here in town.
They were coming in strong.
Listened to the end of an Elton John song,
then they put on another song which had a big
skip right at the beginning.
I thought CDs couldn't skip!
Nostalgia!!!!!

They quickly switched to another song.
Singing along, buzzing up the highway.
Suddenly the CD lost it's mind and the song
moved to 78 rpm!
Aaaaaand the chipmunks are singing!
And the engineer / DJ  went to get coffee
or something.

Brought a smile to my face.

Once at the office, our brand new building is
all open and operating well.  The front door
is not opening, so we are using the back door,
but everything else is good.
However, our other building (which they refurbished
after building ours... all the people moved into our
building for 6 months and then they moved back again
and we moved in... logistic NIGHTMARE I'm sure!)
Anyhow - the other building didn't fare as well.
They have no power.
We are running GIANT (noisy) generators out back
but I guess only enough to run our building.
So all the people from the other building are 
squished in here, working on laptops and sitting
at counters and just making do.

They seem in good spirits and friendly.
So it's all good.
(And I have headphones)

********************************************

Meanwhile, back at the ranch (farm)
all is well.


There was some minor puddling in the front yard.
Lots of branches down from the oaks.
We spent some time gathering the big stuff
and carried it out to a big pile by the street.
(I forgot to take a picture - as we finished,
it started to rain again, so I put my phone away
and we went inside.)


My oaks won't need trimming for a couple of years.
The hurricane really cleaned out all the dead stuff.
You can DEFINITELY see the sky through them now.

Nothing fell on the house though.
Didn't even lose a single shingle!
Yea for strong roofs!

There were 3 small-ish pines that fell on the
back fence, so the guys took those down.
And another pine along the side where
we are putting the new chicken yard they were 
planning to take down anyway,
so while they were out there with the tractor
and the chain saw, they took it down.

Sniff Sniff.
I hate taking down trees.
I love shade.
But it was kind of in the way and pretty close
to the fence, so I understand.
Sniff Sniff.

The barn lost one piece of trim.
(Well, it's not lost, it was right there...)
We have Scott's OLD Jeep (that was junk
years ago when he was keeping it at the shop.
Kyle loaded it up and put it in the back of
our property because Scott was going to work
on it and maybe sell it.)
Anyhow - the engine hood blew up and backwards
taking out the windshield (but the glass landed in the
front seat so not a problem for horses, etc walking
back there) and landed near the fence (instead of
floating in the neighbor's pond like I kind of expected).
And the back door of the old shop trailer
(where we stashed the kayaks) 
blew open and bent a little,
but we fixed it and all is ok with that as well.

So over all, we had about 2% damage and
98% A-OK.
We'll take it!

Lots of my coworkers had rain / water damage
coming in through / around windows and under
doors.  Several of them still have no power.
Jim had a couple of trees down, but the guys
went over and took care of that yesterday.
We forgot to ask if he had power yet
(his went early) but since he didn't ask to use
a generator, either they still don't but are ok
or they have it and are ok.
LOL

Kyle is going to take one over this morning
if they need it.

So, thanks for stopping by Irma.
Glad to see you GO!

Thank you everyone for the prayers on our behalf.
Keep praying for those not so lucky.
And of course, Montana, Idaho, Texas, etc etc etc
who are still dealing with so many problems.

1 comment:

rktucson said...

So glad to hear all is well! Prayers have been answered in your behalf I'm sure!