Friday, September 1, 2017

Why We Don't Play The Lotto

We never play.
We used to.
But we don't any more.

We're not good at gambling.

Take the year 2005 for example.

That was the year after all the hurricanes.
Our city house needed major repairs.
And the farm house also needed major repairs.

We were a little short of money.
We had also decided to get Kyle
braces to see if it would help his headaches.

The company I worked for introduced the
Flexible Spending Account 
that year, but they did it wrong.
All you had to do was provide proof of
coverage and instead of taking their health
insurance, they would give you a Visa card
with a $3,000.00 balance.

So I found some garbage insurance
(turns out it was a scam, but I just wanted the card)
provided proof of coverage,
and got the $3,000 Visa.
Handed it to the dentist.
Voila - free braces for Kyle.
And then promptly cancelled the coverage.

Back Track

We NEVER use our health insurance.
We are blessed with amazing health.
We all get annual physicals for our birthdays.
Other than Rod's broken collar bone
WAAAAAY back in the day,
we don't have medical issues.
I get a blood test each 6 months
and thyroid medicine each month.
($4)
If you have to have a disease - pick this one.
It's CHEAP!

So once we took care of Kyle's teeth (headaches)
we had no need for coverage, so I got rid of it.
(I was already pretty sure it was a scam... 
after all I teach insurance law...)

So we were buzzing along,
working on the farm house to make it habitable,
and then once it was and we moved in,
working on the city house to make it saleable.

Then Jim joined the Navy.
Except he had an ingrown toenail.
They required we have that fixed prior to swearing in.
So we paid for a quick surgical solution.
Out of pocket.

It grew back.

We paid for a second surgical solution.
Out of pocket.

It grew back.

We paid for a THIRD surgical solution,
this time with a Podiatric Surgeon
who essentially removed the nail at the ankle.
Yup, out of pocket.

Whew!

We made SURE the Navy approved his toe prior 
to his swearing in.

This was August / September / October-ish.

Then Rod had his first round of retina detachment.
Of course, we still didn't have any coverage.
3 hours of emergency laser surgery runs about $25,000.
Fortunately, I not only teach about health insurance,
I also work for a medical practice so I know the magic words.

Uttering the magic words (and considerable charm),
we were able to negotiate a 50% discount on all 
but the Anesthesiologist.  He gave me a $50 discount.
Which I appreciated.
Seeing he had my husband's life in his hands.
Fair trade.

So we paid $13,600 instead.
For which we were grateful.
But still it was a tough nut to swallow.

Meanwhile...
I was walking in the woods by myself.
I had completed my walk and was returning 
to our property via the back trails.
I was next door - I could hear Rod and the boys
just on the other side of the fence.
(Pretty dense woods on the side I was on, so
they couldn't see me / didn't know I was there...)

I fell.
Tripped over an errant root.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Dislocating my left shoulder.

We STILL have no health insurance.

So...  I sat there on the ground and 
... uh... relocated? my shoulder.
Popped it back in?
Except that sounds so easy and pain free.
HA!

But I did.
Adrenaline is a WONDERFUL drug.

And then, I knew, from Rod having 
dislocated his shoulder in the past,
all they do is strap it down and allow it to heal.

Well, I can do THAT for FREE!
So I did.
I didn't strap it down - I didn't want anybody
to know I was hurt since they would take
me to the doctor and we didn't have coverage.
And I was tired of paying out of pocket.

So I just pinned my arm to my side
and didn't use it.
For about 6 weeks.
At which point I tried to use it.
But it still hurt.
So I held it pinned for another 2 weeks.

At which point I discovered
it was frozen.

Oops.

But by then, it was the new year.
And we picked up the health insurance again.

So...
I went to the doctor and got yelled at.
And 4 weeks of Physical Therapy.
And considerable discomfort.

But my shoulder is all better.
(I now have bursitis, but it's in the other shoulder...)

Kyle - braces
Jim - 3 surgeries
Rod - 1 surgery
Collette - who knows... lol

And now you see why we don't play the lotto.

No comments: