Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Prepping and Random Thoughts

I'm getting ready for "The Big Trip".
Yes, it gets Capital Letters.

I needed a bunch of chicken feed.
I have 13 little babies (who aren't so little
any more - they are teenagers now...)
and they are getting "special"
Chick Starter / Grower.
I've never done that before.
I just fed them the same stuff
everybody else was getting.

There's something to this special feed stuff.
These girls are GROWING.
Or time is flying faster than I'm paying
attention to and they are older
than I remember...
LOL

Anyhow.
I needed 50# of that.
And 50# of layer for the others.
I bought 100# at the feed mill
2 weeks ago, but we aren't going
to have enough to make it til
my next trip to the mill.

And I needed 50# of alfalfa cubes
to soak for the horses.

I was going to make a trip into town
to the local Tractor Supply.
If I run up the highway, I can be there in
about 20 minutes.
But loading / unloading 50# bags in and out
of my trunk in my VW isn't fun.

So I decided to take a road trip in the Trooper!
I love that little truck!
It still starts right up and runs great.
But I don't think I trust it on the highway.
The tires are OLD.
And I wouldn't like them to blow out
while doing highway speeds.
(That's assuming the truck can DO highway speeds.)

So I took "surface roads".
The air conditioning died in it...
in 1992.
For real.
I used to buzz around town with FOUR
car seats and 4 little boys.
All the giant windows open,
hair flying,
books on tape playing,
it was AWESOME.
(and hot)

The only updating the truck has had is a 
really nice stereo we added when Kyle
was using it as his daily driver.

So today I plugged in my phone
and played The Piano Guys at full blast
as I bopped around town.
Windows open,
hair flying,
It was really fun!

It also took 2 hours.
(I went to WalMart and hit TWO
school zones on the way home...)

I had planned to take Beau with me
because I was also going to Town Hall 
to drop off some typing and an invoice,
but decided to leave him home.
Good choice.

And now,
I'm prepping food for Rod and Kyle
while Mom is prepping for a "little procedure"
(HA!)
My hands are cutting chicken
and my thoughts are in Tucson.

There is bacon in the oven,
chicken nuggets in the fry pan,
jalapeno poppers in the air fryer,
and ...
I just looked up and saw a cow in the yard.

Luckily not MY cow in MY yard.
Brock's cows are out again.
Sigh.

Anyhow.
There WILL be deconstructed stuffed
green peppers in little freezer trays,
And "loaded fotato" (cauliflower, bacon chunks,
chicken chunks, cheese and a yummy sauce).
And country style ribs.
And steak.

Sometime between today and tomorrow.


This was lunch yesterday.
Konjac noodles, left over steak,
diced zucchini, and a little feta cheese.
It was yummy.
I eat it with chop sticks.
Feels more authentic.
And takes longer,
And is FUN.
(Food should be fun!) 

No comments: