Thursday, January 17, 2019

Pressure Cooker 101

It was a SUCCESS!

I didn't take any pictures.
And I forgot to count, but I think we had
between 15 and 20 people. There were
women in nearly all the chairs...

We started the evening by putting 
all the ingredients into my Instant Pot
for a big ol' thing of chili and getting
that started. Then I went through more
of the actual steps and talked about 
features using my other (Oster brand)
electric pressure cooker and we did
a dozen hard boiled eggs.
Naturally when I turned the 2nd pot on,
we blew the breaker on my power strip.
(I was kind afraid that might happen,
so I brought a strip so we didn't blow
a breaker in the church and then not
know how to fix it...)

Ended up putting the chili in the kitchen.
But that was ok.

I brought all my "toys" / accessories
and we went through and talked about
each one and what you might use them for.
Like my vegetable steamer that I use
when I do eggs. 
I also have a mesh basket with little feet
that wasn't really for the IP, but it fits,
once I broke the handles off.
I use it when I'm cooking meat that I don't
want sitting in liquid or if I'm doing
more than a dozen eggs at a time.

I also have a little silicone baby pan thing
that I use to make Faux Sous Vide Egg Bites.
BIG with the Starbucks crowd.
And me.
They're tasty!


I actually bought it for the rack with 
HANDLES! I have a trivet, but this one is BETTER!
The egg bites are good too...

And a nifty little "pot in pot" thingie that I
bought, convinced I would use it LOTS,
but haven't ever used.
But I AM going to use it!


This one is nicer than the one I bought.
This one has different lids!
That's cool!

And, of course, my little spring form pan
for making cheesecake!



Pretty, eh?
Please notice, NO CRACKS!


This one is the sugar free version.
I also made one with white sugar.
Kyle loved it.

Anyhow...

When the eggs were done, we took them
out and put them in some ice water.
Oh, which reminds me.
When we got there, there were signs
everywhere letting us know that the water
pipes in the building were being worked on
and please do not use the water for drinking,
cooking, washing hands, or washing dishes.
GREAT.

Luckily I always have a couple of bottles
of water in my car.
Saved the day.

We talked about the handout and I answered
a gazillion questions and told stories
and kept them laughing and talking until
the chili was done.
(Only takes 15 minutes once it comes to pressure...)
Then we served the chili with sour cream
and cheese, tortilla chips and sour dough bread.
(And bottled water)

Once everyone had their chili, I broke out the
cheesecake. For everyone who turned up their
nose at the sugar free version, I gave them a slice
of regular but made them take a "taste" of the
sugar free one.

THEY ATE THE WHOLE THING!

Oh, I also tossed some frozen blueberries, a handful
of frozen sliced strawberries, 2 T(ish) of lemon juice,
and a couple tablespoons of stevia in a saucepan
and simmered it for about 10 minutes for a topping
for the cheesecake.
They loved that too.
I didn't tell them until later that it was also
sugar free.

I came home with nothing.
No chili, no eggs, no cheesecake.
They LOVED it all.
Which was great!
I also got several requests for the
cheesecake recipe. BOTH versions.
HA!

Anyhow.
I think it was a smashing success.
And I'm glad it's done.

On to the next thing.
(Which is working at town hall for the rest
of the week, but also feeding the sister missionaries
tonight at 5:00... so I'm going to leave here
a little early to get home and make... SOMETHING.)
I think we are having blackened chicken with mango.
And salad.
But we'll see.
I have no ideas for desert at this point.

No comments: