Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Lost. Sigh...

I wasn't paying attention.

I was driving.

I was talking on the phone... (hands free).

And after about 30 minutes, I glanced at my GPS which mentioned casually there were 47 more miles til my next exit at Yeehaw Junction.

Which is, incidentally NO WHERE NEAR where I live.

Now, in my defense, I normally leave my school, get on the highway and drive straight north for about 2 hours.  No exits until the one that takes me straight to my house.  Simple.  Straight forward.  Excellent for someone who just taught mind-numbingly boring material for 10 hours.  (And did NOT stay in a Holiday Inn Express the previous night.  Thank goodness!)

But with my new(ish) school, I have to get on a toll road and then get OFF the toll road in just a few miles and THEN I can drive and drive and drive for just over an hour with no exits until I get to "my" highway.

But I sort of forgot to get off the toll road.

Darn it!

Luckily, there was a service plaza about 10 miles further down the road, so I had the opportunity to turn around.  The plaza was under construction, so there were some tense moments while I tried to figure out where I was supposed to be going while not getting in the way of those hard-working semi drivers.  (Amazing how my attitude for those guys has changed!  LOL)

Then it was 20+ miles back to an exit to a road I recognized the name of.

Unfortunately, I didn't know if I should turn left or right, so I relied on my GPS to tell me.

Dorothy is often as confused as I am.  (Dorothy is my GPS.  Her nickname is Dot, you know, like DOT, you know, like Department of Transportation?  Ok, if you have to explain it, it doesn't really work, so I just call her Dorothy and move on with my life...)

Anyhow.  She suggested (strongly) that I turn left.  I did.  Then she suggested I get BACK on the toll road I had just gotten OFF!  Uh, no?

So I did what I should have done in the first place.

Pulled over.  And pulled up Google Earth on my phone.  And realized Dorothy was set to favor toll roads.  So I turned THAT off.  And suddenly she said, Oh yah!  Turn around and go the other way.  You'll get home 30 minutes earlier, but still 30 minutes later than if you hadn't messed up in the first place.

Sigh.

At least it was a beautiful evening.


Dorothy.



No comments: